none
sqlcmd not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed SQL Server 2005 Express along with the Management Studio.  The Management Studio, at least what I've seen so far, seems to work fine.  But when I type "sqlcmd" at the command prompt, I get "sqlcmd is not a recognized internal or external command, operable program or batch file."  What gives???
    Monday, October 9, 2006 8:36 PM

Answers

•  

You might find that the path to the file or bin directory is not in your system.. Which means at the momnet you will have to run it from the directory where it gets installed C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\binn Note that this path may be differnt on your machine and the MSSQL.1 could have any number at the end... The number at the end matches the order of the instances that are installed on the machine.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:19 PM

All replies

•  

You might find that the path to the file or bin directory is not in your system.. Which means at the momnet you will have to run it from the directory where it gets installed C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\binn Note that this path may be differnt on your machine and the MSSQL.1 could have any number at the end... The number at the end matches the order of the instances that are installed on the machine.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:19 PM
  • I found "sqlcmd.exe" in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn" folder.  I am able to execute the sqlcmd command from that folder and connect to my server.  Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:59 PM
  • I didn't find any sqlcmd.exe in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\" folder. (

I find it under "C:\WINDOWS\SQL9_KB970892_ENU" folder.

Best regards, Sergiu

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Instead of using a full path to the exe you can add the path to SqlCmd.exe in "Environment variables" -> "Path".

Then you don't need to specify the full path when you call sqlcmd

Thanks, Falcon

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:47 AM