Is there a command-line tool for upgrading dbproj projects to sqlproj? RRS feed

• Question

• I have about 30 database projects (dbproj) that I need to convert to SSDT projects (sqlproj).  I'd like a faster way than using the upgrade wizard in VS 2010 (which tends to crash VS).

Thx!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:56 PM

Answers

• The ETL didn't contain any useful information. 

The conversion log indicates that the project upgraded successfully:

<Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj" Source="..\CampaignManager.dbproj" Description="The permissions file 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\Properties\Database.sqlpermissions' was converted to Transact-SQL in the file 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\Permissions.sql'." />
      <Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj" Source="..\CampaignManager.dbproj" Description="Project was successfully converted: 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj' to 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.sqlproj'" />
      <Event ErrorLevel="3" Project="C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj" Source="..\CampaignManager.dbproj" Description="Converted" />

Kevin - is this still a blocker for you?  If so is there any way you could share your project?

For my own records this is bug #969737 : TSData to SSDT conversion failure

• Edited by psirr-MSFT Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Janet Yeilding Monday, June 25, 2012 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hey Kevin,

Unfortunately, there is currently not a dbproj->sqlproj command-line project upgrade tool. Thank you for the suggestion, though, I will pass it along to the project system folks. I am curious about the crashing you mention in the IDE project upgrade case. Would you be able to go into any more detail about the behavior/crashing you are experiencing? Are you working with particularly large dbproj projects?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Mahood - Program Manager Data-Tier Application Framework (DACFX)/SQL Server Data Tools

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Even after I convert a small dbproj to a sqlproj in VS, VS creates a mini-dump and restarts.  The error message in Event Viewer is this:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f2a73
    Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.0.30319.276, time stamp: 0x4f1927dd
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0016f80c
    Faulting process id: 0x1ad0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd38fb69ecf194
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

Kevin

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Hey Kevin,

Thanks for following up. At what point in the project upgrade process do these crashes normally happen? Do you get to the point where a ConversionLog.xml file gets created in your project directory? If so, I would be interested to see what the contents are.

Either way, we'd definitely like to get to the bottom of this upgrade crash issue. One thing that you could do, if you would be interested that would help us narrow down the issue is to reproduce the crash with event logging enabled. Below are the steps to gather the log, then you can attach the file to an email and send it to me at admahood at microsoft dot com. I can then pass this log onto the project system folks.

1. Open a new command prompt as Administrator.

2. Run the following command

logman create trace -n JuneauDebug -p
    "Microsoft-SQLServerDataTools" 0x800 -o
    "%LOCALAPPDATA%\SSDTDebug.etl" -ets

3. Reproduce the crash in SSDT.

4. Go back to the command prompt and run the following command

logman stop JuneauDebug -ets

5. The resulting ETL file will be located at %LOCALAPPDATA\SSDTDebug.etl and can be navigated to using Windows Explorer.

Let me know if you would be willing to do this or if you have any problems with gathering the trace.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Mahood - Program Manager Data-Tier Application Framework (DACFX)/SQL Server Data Tools

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:53 PM
  • Yes the ConversionLog.xml gets created.  I also created a SSDTDebug.etl file.  How can I get them to you?

Kevin

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Hey Kevin,

You can send me both the conversion log and etl file -> admahood at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,

Adam

Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:19 PM
  • The ETL didn't contain any useful information. 

The conversion log indicates that the project upgraded successfully:

<Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj" Source="..\CampaignManager.dbproj" Description="The permissions file 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\Properties\Database.sqlpermissions' was converted to Transact-SQL in the file 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\Permissions.sql'." />
      <Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj" Source="..\CampaignManager.dbproj" Description="Project was successfully converted: 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj' to 'C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.sqlproj'" />
      <Event ErrorLevel="3" Project="C:\svn\COL\4.2\dev\Database\CM\CampaignManager\CampaignManager.dbproj" Source="..\CampaignManager.dbproj" Description="Converted" />

Kevin - is this still a blocker for you?  If so is there any way you could share your project?

For my own records this is bug #969737 : TSData to SSDT conversion failure

• Edited by psirr-MSFT Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Janet Yeilding Monday, June 25, 2012 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:46 PM
  • It's not blocking me right now.  Unfortunately the project contains proprietary information so I can't share it.  Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:39 PM