none
Integration Services Will Not Run

Question

• Win 2008 Enterprise sp2 64 bit. SQL 2008 Std 64 bit. I cannot get a BI project to load or build new. First I had Visual Studio 2008 Team System Database. Would not load. Then I installed SQL 2008 sp1. (currently 10.0.2531.0 SP1) No change. Uninstalled VS, rebooted & installed VS 2008 Profesional. No change.

Error is: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Wizard' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Just to make the day extra-special, I find out my new box with VS2010 does not even support SSIS/BI anymore. Looks like back to Windows XP again!!@#$!

Friday, September 03, 2010 7:40 PM

Answers

• 1638 means a previous installation conflicted.

You will need to un-install then all the instances of the VSs and may need to repair/reinstall the client tools for SQL 2008.

After you repair the client tools of SQL Server 2008 you must be able to open BIDS and crate a new SSIS package even though you do not have the VS full installed, at that point you may install VS 2008 TSD, it must work.

Arthur My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Bil Click Friday, September 03, 2010 11:40 PM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hello Bil,

The SQL 2008 installation came with the client tools, right, did you install them successfully? If yes, BIDS is there.

Arthur My Blog
    Friday, September 03, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hi Arthur -

I thought I installed all options. BIDS does show up in the New Project dialog window with all the Templates, but none will run. When I try to create a new Integration Services Project I get the error listed above.

If I try to create a Report Server project it says: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=nuetral......or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks - Bil

Friday, September 03, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Thank you for the prompt reply,

I remember of one such instance I managed to fix by doing a "repair install" when I logged in as an administrator.

Could you do that too please?

Arthur My Blog
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I just did a repair of VS 2008 pro. At the end it says: following components failed to install:
    MS SQL Publishing Wizard. MSI returned error code 1638

Thanks Arthur

Friday, September 03, 2010 8:23 PM
  • 1638 means a previous installation conflicted.

You will need to un-install then all the instances of the VSs and may need to repair/reinstall the client tools for SQL 2008.

After you repair the client tools of SQL Server 2008 you must be able to open BIDS and crate a new SSIS package even though you do not have the VS full installed, at that point you may install VS 2008 TSD, it must work.

Arthur My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Bil Click Friday, September 03, 2010 11:40 PM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:29 PM
  • I will try that & report back. Thanks again Arthur.
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:45 PM
  • OK, that worked! I uninstalled VS again & rebooted, then ran repair on SQL.  At that point BIDS ran ok. I reinstalled VS 2008 Pro (with BIDS settings) and it still works.

Many thanks Arthur!

Friday, September 03, 2010 11:39 PM
  • thank you so much, It worked

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Some how the Integration Services is disabled. Re-enable it. Open your Visual Studio SSDT, go to Tools >> Extension and Update and Enable the "Microsoft Integration Services Projects".
    Monday, August 20, 2018 6:43 PM