none
Error in SQL Server Management Studio: Failed to start debugger. Addidiotional information: The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_enable_sql_debug', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)

Question

• I am trying to execute a script to a remote SQL Server database, but I keep getting this error. I have seen that people suggestion granting 'sysadmin' role to the user, but I have not found directions that I understand. How can I grant me, as user, the 'sysadmin' role. I am the only user of the computer and I have the Administrator account.
    Monday, March 04, 2013 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. if you have an option to log on to teh remote SQL Server as local administrator or SA  - I think it will do the trick

2. if you still need to grant execute permission  the following command will do

grant execute on sp_enable_sql_debug to <replace with SQL login name>

HTH,
    Noam

Monday, March 04, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Are you trying to execute a T-SQL script or debug the script.

If you are clicking on the Debug button instead of execute and if that is intentional, then you need to follow the requirements to start the Transact-SQL debugger which are as follows:

• SQL Server Management Studio must be running under a Windows account that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server roll.
    • The Database Engine Query Editor window must be connected by using either a Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication login that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.
    • The Database Engine Query Editor window must be connected to an instance of the SQL Server 2008 Database Engine. You cannot run the debugger when the Query Editor window is connected to an instance that is in single-user mode.

If you just want to execute a T-SQL script, then sysadmin permission is not required, but you need to make sure permissions required to run that T-SQL script and on those objects are required

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Hi

I have seen numerous suggestions that I run certain 'commands', but where do I run them? What are they?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:15 AM