none
Visual Studio 2015 CTP - Javascript support missing

Question

• I had Visual Studio 2015 CTP 4 installed and now CTP6 - In both cases it was missing Javascript support.

- Not showing syntax highlighting for .js file

- Intellisense  not working for .js files

Also when i go to tools/options/Text Editor - Javascript language section is missing. See  image and its comparison with VS2013.

From the desk of Pinal Bhatt | http://www.PBDesk.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:44 PM

Answers

• If you are not installed in the default folder,then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0 copy to your install folder(ex.F:\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0)

open the Developer Command Prompt as administrator,run command:

devenv /setup

devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates

算神的博客

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Hi Pinal.Bhatt,

I also install the ctp 6 in a new machine, it still works well in my side.

Jut to make this issue clearly, you know that it would have two options "default" or "custom" from the setup wizard whether you run the setup file? Do you use the default option?

In addition, I install them in the Windows 8.1 Environment, as you said that just one box has this issue, whether it is the different Windows Environment as others?

Maybe you could open your VS IDE, click Help menu->About Visual Studio, and then compare the installed products, maybe you could get certain differences in different boxes.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Pinal.Bhatt,

I installed the VS2015 CTP 5 before, it seems that it has that option.

But for VS2015 ctp 6, I will test it, I will update the information here later.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 10:04 AM
  • Thanks Jack for response but for me its issue on one machine only. I have VS2015 CTP installed on two other boxes and its working fine for it. Issue is only on one box. I uninstalled all and reinstalled but same issue on this box.

From the desk of Pinal Bhatt | http://www.PBDesk.com

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Hi Pinal.Bhatt,

I also install the ctp 6 in a new machine, it still works well in my side.

Jut to make this issue clearly, you know that it would have two options "default" or "custom" from the setup wizard whether you run the setup file? Do you use the default option?

In addition, I install them in the Windows 8.1 Environment, as you said that just one box has this issue, whether it is the different Windows Environment as others?

Maybe you could open your VS IDE, click Help menu->About Visual Studio, and then compare the installed products, maybe you could get certain differences in different boxes.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:53 AM
  • I would like to add a little weight to this.

I have this exact same problem with Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6. I had CTP 5 installed and then updated it with the CTP 6. I am also missing JavaScript and it presents the JSON editor instead.

Monday, March 02, 2015 10:31 PM
  • Hi Pinal.Bhatt,

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

@ AdamZ,

Could you get that option in VS2015 CTP5? If you uninstall the VS2015 CTP 5, and then install the VS2015 CTP 6, how about the result? What is your windows Environment? I test it in two Windows 8.1 64 bit machines, two versions work normally in my side.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 1:59 AM
  • If you are not installed in the default folder,then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0 copy to your install folder(ex.F:\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0)

open the Developer Command Prompt as administrator,run command:

devenv /setup

devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates

算神的博客

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:00 AM
  • This was a GREAT post!! I have been dealing with this problem for months, I have an SSD drive as my primary boot drive and offloaded the apps to another drive. Thank you very much, this helped immediately.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 1:41 PM
  • I copied the entire folder from the C to my destination install (D in my case) and ran the commands.  I now see the JavaScript text option too. 

Problem solved!

Thanks...months of enduring this one.  As a note, I have Node.js installed and was using the node.js editor so I could get some highlighting and formatting at least.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:21 PM
  • I get a similar problem with Visual Studio Community Edition 2015 14.0.23107.0 D14REL. Which was installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0

After the first install of VS2015 the Javascript Text Editor options are present but after applying updates the Javascript Text Editor options disappeared. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio which brings back the Javascript Text Editor but yesterday I updated "Typescript for Visual Studio" and now the Javascript Text Editor has disappeared again!!!

I have tried launching the Developer Command Prompt for VS2015 (as administrator) and running:

1. Run devenv /setup
    2. Run devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates

But this does not fix it either.

Do I really need to uninstall the whole VS studio again?

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:23 PM
  • I have been having the exact same issue.  I have attempted to run the fix by running the setup by command line and the install vs templates again.  It does not bring up the Javascript options for file extensions.  

I have been trying all sorts of fixes but nothing seems to work at this point.  

I am thinking after a ton of testing, when you install the TypeScript update, it removes the Javascript option.  I am testing it currently.  More to follow...

• Edited by Spacer73 Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Fixed it.    Found the fix here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3025135  

Cordova and JavaScript
    • In certain install scenarios after you install the tools for Universal Windows applications, the JavaScript language service and project system can be uninstalled. This can result in the following issues:
      • Visual Studio will freeze when you create a new Cordova project.
      • Visual Studio will display a package load failure when you create a new JavaScript-based Universal Windows application project.
      • When you edit a JavaScript file, IntelliSense will not work.
      • When you debug a JavaScript-based Universal Windows application, you receive the following error message:
        The debugger cannot continue running the process.  Unable to start debugging.

Workaround:
      • Make sure your computer has an internet connection, and
        • If the Tools for Universal Windows Apps Development are still installed:
          1. Go to Programs and Features, select Visual Studio 2015, click Change.
          2. In Visual Studio setup, click Modify.
          3. Deselect the feature Tools for Universal Windows App Development.
          4. Select Tools for Universal Windows App Development again, and click Update.
        • If you have already uninstalled the Tools for Universal Windows Apps Development:
          1. Reinstall Tools for Universal Windows App Development.
          2. Or, take the following steps to reinstall the JavaScript project system and language service:
            • Download the installer for your edition of Visual Studio, such as, vs_community.exe.
            • Open a command window, and run the following command: 
              vs_community.exe /modify /installselectableitems JavaScript_Hidden /passive

I unchecked and rechecked the universal web app development box.  For good measure I also unchecked and rechecked the boxes for html/Javascript. Let it run and everything worked. 

Hope this helps!!!

• Proposed as answer by Jason Greasley Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:05 AM
    • Edited by DoddsDonnelly Tuesday, September 01, 2015 8:37 PM Spelling Correction
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:15 PM
  • Just followed this all through, and it works again.

Installed the TypeScript update yesterday, come in today, js syntax highlighting missing.

Followed the instructions and it's all back as it was.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:06 AM