none
What are the steps to follow to restore a previous replication when restoring to a previous release of my company's product RRS feed

• Question

•     The company I work for has introduced the use of replication, I am in charge of executing multi-server databases on a distributed system. So far going forward with new releases, I have been able to set up replication with a publisher and subscriber on different servers. When the release is completed I backup the executable, along with the databases which includes distribution, master and msdb according to the docs I read from Microsoft about replication. 

The problem occurs when I have to roll back to an older release. I perform restoration of databases on both db servers and restore the executable where needed. The databases for replication include the distribution (publisher server), master(as a single usr) and msdb. Master and MSDB are on both db servers. When I refresh replication I do see the publisher and subscriber names.  The question here is where do I go from here. I have not had much success after this point. Do I have to execute a snapshot? What are the steps from this point to restore the replication?

Thank you Pete

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

What’s the type of your replication? The strategies for backing up and restoring each node in a replication topology differ according to the type of replication used.  Could you please try to follow the steps to backup and restore replicated database. Please refer to Back Up and Restore Replicated Databases.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:11 AM
  • If you restore them on the same server you must restore the databases with the keep_replication switch.

To get the log reader working again you must do a sp_replrestart in the publication database.

You may need to use the continue on data consistency error profile.

Monday, May 20, 2019 2:32 PM
  • I highly recommend against ever rolling back database changes.  This is always a problem and not sustainable in a large database.

There are ways to make database changes "non-breaking changes".  Then you never need to roll back.

Monday, May 20, 2019 4:37 PM