none
Tool to migrate SSRS 2008 reports to SSRS 2016? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi edm2,

Based on my research, unfortunately I can not find out any migrate tool from SSRS 2008 to SSRS 2016. 

But we can download all the reports from Report Server database using SQL script. Please refer to this article: SSRS – Download all RDL files from Report Server in one go.

Then we can deploy these reports to SSRS 2016 Report Server with SSDT tool according to specify the version of Report Server. See: Upgrade Reports

Thanks,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:46 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

In common you don't need to upgrade all reports manually, see Upgrade Reports : "When you upgrade a Reporting Services installation to a SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services (SSRS) installation, existing reports and snapshots that have been published to a report server are compiled and automatically upgraded to the new schema the first time they are processed"

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Pirlo Zhang Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:51 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Very interesting. I should have been clearer. In my case I need to migrate (or move)  the 2008 reports to a (new) 2016 server, not perform an in-place upgrade of the 2008 server.

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Monday, March 6, 2017 6:57 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Move the SS2008 report solution to the new server and opem it in VS2015, it will be upgraded and  you need to publish them to the new server

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:22 AM
  • Uri,

How does one  "move the ss2008 report solution to the new server"?  I have a reporting database not a solution in Visual Studio that I can move.

Thanks,

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Monday, March 6, 2017 5:01 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Hi edm2,

Based on my research, unfortunately I can not find out any migrate tool from SSRS 2008 to SSRS 2016. 

But we can download all the reports from Report Server database using SQL script. Please refer to this article: SSRS – Download all RDL files from Report Server in one go.

Then we can deploy these reports to SSRS 2016 Report Server with SSDT tool according to specify the version of Report Server. See: Upgrade Reports

Thanks,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:46 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:51 AM
  • Hi edm2,

If your issue is solved please mark the appropriate answer as Mark as answer. This will help other members to find a solution if they face the same issue.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Not sure if this should go on this thread, but here goes. I have a bunch of reports in SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Server. When I download and then upload to a 2016 instance all seemed to go fine until a user noted that results were not returning on the upgraded version. I checked the Stored Procedure that supplies the report's dataset and it was returning values. 

When I edit the report in Report Builder 2016 it returns no values. 

Yet when I edit the report (saved report) in the Visual Studio 2010 Data Shell the report works fine. I am at a loss as to the cause.

Andrew

Monday, July 2, 2018 6:21 PM
  • https://github.com/gwalkey/SSRS_Migrate

This tool will get you 97% of the way there.

I found some shared data sources that were mangled beyond belief that wouldnt convert, 

but everything else is pretty much a clean shot.

a splashy sig

• Proposed as answer by gbw4444 Tuesday, August 21, 2018 5:31 PM
    • Edited by gbw4444 Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:00 PM