none
Error when trying to create a Data Flow Task

Question

•  

I have SQL Server 2005 installed on a Windows XP Pro OS.  Whenever I try to create a Data Flow Task using MS Visual Studio 2005 by dragging and dropping the icon, I receive the following error:

"Failed to create the task.

Additional information:

The designer could not be initialized. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design)"

I have tried many of the suggestions posted in the SSIS forums and haven't found anything that has resolved the issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled SQL Server 2005 and VS 2005.  I have also registered the dts.dll to no avail.  I am hoping that someone has some different suggestions for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

• Not sure how uninstalling and reinstalling wouldn't fix this, but you might try running regsvr32 on dtspipeline.dll (I see you already did on dts.dll, but do it on dtspipeline.dll as well).  From the error message, it looks like the runtime is unable to find the Data Flow Task, which is in dtspipeline.dll.

-David

• Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Thursday, January 08, 2009 2:30 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:46 PM

All replies

• Is the sql server 2005 you installed Express edition or Developer edition? if it is an express edition, there is no SSIS. That means it is impossible to use it.

Friday, December 05, 2008 9:10 AM
  • Also make sure that you install the "Client Tools"  (or Workstation Tools, whatever the option is called) on the SQL Server installation CD.
    Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Thanks for the response, Hongtao.  I have the Developer edition installed on my desktop.

Monday, December 08, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Thanks for your response, Ashwani Roy.  I had already seen this post and tried the suggestion to no avail.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Monday, December 08, 2008 12:51 PM
  •  tmachado00 wrote:

Thanks for the response, Hongtao.  I have the Developer edition installed on my desktop.

as Phil suggested so you have the client tools installed. Also could you look at the link I gave and let me know if it helps.

this is either a problem with your installation or SSIS configuration.

Monday, December 08, 2008 12:52 PM
  • I did try the link that you provided.  I had tried this before and it didn't help.  Currently my SSIS windows services is set to the local system account. 

I just checked to ensure that I have the client or workstation tools installed and I do, as Phil suggested.  I am assuming it is probably an issue with the configuration.  Do you have any suggestions for how to configure SSIS correctly?

Thanks again!

Monday, December 08, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Not sure how uninstalling and reinstalling wouldn't fix this, but you might try running regsvr32 on dtspipeline.dll (I see you already did on dts.dll, but do it on dtspipeline.dll as well).  From the error message, it looks like the runtime is unable to find the Data Flow Task, which is in dtspipeline.dll.

-David

• Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Thursday, January 08, 2009 2:30 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:46 PM