none
SSRS migrate/upgrade reports - What is best approach? RRS feed

• Question

• I am replacing a SQL2008 server with a new SQL2017 server and moving databases & SSRS reports from old to new.

What is the safest and simplest way to accomplish the SSRS report migration?

I'm hesitant to backup ReportServer db on old 2008 server and restore onto 2017 server if the new ReportServer schema has changed and would thus be 'damaged', in the process.

Do you have suggestions or experiences to share? Article recommendations are welcome, too.

Thanks,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCS

• Edited by philfactor Friday, December 6, 2019 9:43 PM
    Friday, December 6, 2019 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

No matter in which kind of migration approaches, we should backup the report server database and encryption key to keep valuable data safe.

There are methods like using RS.exe or power shell script. I think the best approaches personally is in place upgrading or RS database/encryption keys migration. 

In place upgrading, you could take a look into official documentation. Upgrade and Migrate Reporting Services 

For you concern of database moving. The schema change happens mainly in report definition the .rdl file. The migration would not damage the database file itself.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:33 AM
  • Lukas,

Thanks for your reply. This is not an in-place upgrade. We have a completely different SQL Server 2017 machine and want to move all the reports (roughly 3,500) from old SQL Server 2008 machine to the new SQL Server 2017 machine.

>The migration would not damage the database file itself.

I'm not concerned about damaging the database file. I'm concerned about changing the schema of ReportServer database. Are you saying the schema of a SQL 2017 ReportServer database is IDENTICAL to the schema of a SQL 2008 ReportServer database, so that if I restore backup from SQL2008 over SQL2017 ReportServer, that the schema will not be altered in any way?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Monday, December 9, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi Phil,

No, I don't think they are identical, based on my experience. As I've seen some cases, there would be some issue and pain for migration for SSRS  2008 to SSRS 2017. 

What kind of schema are we talking about here?  If you are concerning about the folder structures and file arrangement, that would not be a problem. 

From several case I've seen, most of the reports will continually working fine after the migration, excluding some small part of reports which might be using custom code or complicated logic.  

regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:22 AM