none
Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed. RRS feed

• Question

•  <DbProviderFactories> 
          <add name="Odbc Data Provider"                         invariant="System.Data.Odbc"                 description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Odbc"                                 type="System.Data.Odbc.OdbcFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" /> 
          <add name="OleDb Data Provider"                       invariant="System.Data.OleDb"               description=".Net Framework Data Provider for OleDb"                                type="System.Data.OleDb.OleDbFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" /> 
          <add name="OracleClient Data Provider"            invariant="System.Data.OracleClient"    description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle"                               type="System.Data.OracleClient.OracleClientFactory, System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" /> 
          <add name="SqlClient Data Provider"                  invariant="System.Data.SqlClient"          description=".Net Framework Data Provider for SqlServer"                            type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" /> 

<add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider"   
                     invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5"   
                     description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact"                 
                     type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.5.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" /> 
         <add name="SQL Server Compact Edition Data Provider"       
                    invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe"          
                    description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition"   
                    type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" /> 
        </DbProviderFactories> 
    How do I connect to an sdf database? 
    Pointed Server Explorer to 
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Samples\Northwind.sdf

and was able to see it just fine. I can also create sdf's just fine.

When I drag a grid view, follow the sqldatasource 'configure data source' wizard I successfully can see the data.

But, when I play run(f5), I get the following error message. 

Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed.

I have followed Oakleafs blog post, http://oakleafblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/orcas-march-ctp-on-vista-database.html

but realize this is all per-machine specific. Here is my machine.config file, as you can see I am missing Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client, can someone tell me where to get this?

I am using Visual Studio 2008 Proffesional, Service Pack1.

love dot net
    • Moved by Noam Ben-Ami - MSFT1 Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:32 PM (Moved from ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities to SQL Server Compact)
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Danny,

You don't need Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.dll for your application. In fact, this DLL is used by Server Explorer.

For your application to run properly, you should have System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll properly installed. Again, Server Explorer or Data Source Wizard will not work properly for SQL Server Compact if SQL Server Compact SDK is not installed [which also installs System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll in the machine]. Since your Server Explorer and Data Source Wizards are properly working, you just have to make sure that your application is referring System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll and not Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.dll.

Feel free to ping me for more information. You will find this thread useful.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlce/thread/ff731bf4-1f50-4f77-955b-e4534474a271/

Thanks,
    Imran Siddique.
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights”.
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 12:11 PM
  • Seems like this is a Microsoft issue itself: Microsoft Connect

--
    Ani
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Regards,
    It is possible to apply these same concepts of interconnection with MySQL using asp: SqlDataSource??

<Asp: SqlDataSource ID = "MySqlDataSource" runat = "server" ConnectionString ="<%$ ConnectionStrings: MySQLConnectionString%> "

SelectCommand ="..."

ProviderName ="<%$ ConnectionStrings: MySQLConnectionString.ProviderName%> ">

</ Asp: SqlDataSource>

Comment because I run the development side I run everything perfectly, however when I run and to use my production level generates the following error:

Unable to find the requested. Net Framework Data Provider. It May not be installed.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred DURING the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information About the mistake and Where It Originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested. Net Framework Data Provider. It May not be installed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception generated WAS DURING the execution of the current web request. Information Regarding the origin and location of the exception using the Can Be Identified exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested. Net Framework Data Provider. It May not be installed.]

System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory (String providerInvariantName) +1415431

System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSource.GetDbProviderFactory () +67

System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSource.GetDbProviderFactorySecure () +22

System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSource.CreateConnection (String connectionString) +11

System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect (DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +117

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.GetData () +54

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy (Boolean useDataSource) +248

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding (EventArgs e) +61

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind () +76

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.EnsureDataBound () +57

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnPreRender (EventArgs e) +15

System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal () +103

System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal () +175

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain (Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

Version Information: Microsoft. NET Framework Version: 4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version: 4.0.30319.1

Thank you.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Man; you are helpful.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 11:11 AM