none
Unable to access FCI via SSMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have just built a two node clustered instance.

I can access the Instance using the Virtual network name only when I am accessing SSMS from the node which is current owner of the cluster.

Not from any other machine. <u1:p></u1:p>

Test-NetConnection <VirtualNameOfSQLClusterInstance> -Port 1433 returns success only when I am trying it from the owner node of the SQL cluster. 

I have ensured dynamic ports are removed from IPAII and I have assigned static port 1433. 

Please help. 

Monday, April 1, 2019 9:41 AM

All replies

• What error are you getting?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Monday, April 1, 2019 10:55 AM
  • I can access this instance using SSMS from the node which is the current owner of the cluster role. 

However, I get this error when trying from any other machine

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server/ The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server \ Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server) 

Please help. 

Monday, April 1, 2019 11:15 AM
  • Hello,

How is the status of the SQL Server Browser service in the server?

Are the ports TCP 1433, 1434 and UDP 1434 open?

Waiting your reply.

Felipe Lauffer
    MCT | MCSE: Data Management & Analytics | MCSE: Data Platform | MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014 | MCP

[ Blog ] - [ Profile ] - [ Wiki ] - [ Gallery ] - [ LinkedIn ]

Monday, April 1, 2019 11:25 AM
  • Is it "Active-Active" cluster config?

See if this link helps you

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3310/force-start-a-windows-server-failover-cluster-without-a-quorum-to-bring-a-sql-server-failover-clustered-instance-online/

Also

1. Make sure SQL Server Service is running
    2. If a named instance, make sure SQL Server browser service is running
    3. Make sure SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections
    4. Examine the SQL Server error log for messages confirming that SQL is listening on the expected network interfaces and ports
    5. Test server connectivity with PING from the client machine
    6. Test port connectivity using TELNET or PowerShell to the server and port (from step 4) from the client machine.  For example
    a. TELNET <server-name> 1433
    b. PowerShell: 1433 | % { echo ((new-object Net.Sockets.TcpClient).Connect("YourServerName",$_)) "server listening on TCP port $_" }
    7. Check firewall settings if step 5 or 6 connectivity test fails

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

• Proposed as answer by Puzzle_Chen Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:17 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 11:35 AM
  • Hello,

I have disabled firewall completely and the connections go through. I will get the exceptions added in firewall rules. 

Thanks for your response :) 

Monday, April 1, 2019 11:45 AM
  • Does this work when you use the SQL Server cluster IP?

Can you ping the virtualNameofSQLClusterIntance from both nodes?

Ie ping -a 1.1.1.1 (replace this with the name of your SQL Server Cluster instance).

and type ping virtualNameofSQLClusterIntance 

If the correct name returned both times?

Monday, April 1, 2019 1:41 PM
  • Yes. Ping was OK all the time. 
    Monday, April 1, 2019 1:44 PM
  • Hi Mounika91,

For the SQL Server port, use SQL Server Configuration Manager to check the SQL Server network configuration for the TCP/IP protocol for the instance you want to unblock. You must enable the TCP port for IPALL if you want to connect to SQL Server using TCP after installation. By default, SQL Browser listens on UDP port 1434. Please refer to Review Network, Port, and Firewall Considerations.

Best Regards,
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:22 AM