none
Can multiple email account be defined for SSRS RRS feed

Answers

• Hello Atoine,

Sorry, I got you wrong; indeed I meant "Receiver/CC/BCC".

No, in "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" you can only define one email account for "Sender", not more.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    • Proposed as answer by Sharp WangModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Antoine F Monday, December 19, 2011 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Antoine,

Yes, you can. Just separate the email address with a semicolon ; like in every common email client.

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Thank you Olaf,

What I want to define is the sender, the "from" address.  I believe you are refering to the to, cc and bcc fields.

p.s. latin and german.  nice signature!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:22 PM
  • LOL, I tried what you said just in case.  My findings are interesting.

The reporting service management allows to define the sender address as a list by providing semi colons between addresses.  However, the report manager interface does not allow to select the sender when defining a subscription.  As such, all it does is select the first sender in the address list.  In other words, all other senders are ignored.

Still, if you or anybody is aware of a way to specify the sender address on a subscription base rather than server base, it would be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hello Atoine,

Sorry, I got you wrong; indeed I meant "Receiver/CC/BCC".

No, in "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" you can only define one email account for "Sender", not more.

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing
    • Proposed as answer by Sharp WangModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Antoine F Monday, December 19, 2011 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Thank you for your help Olaf.

I posted a request on connect under the form of a suggestion.  http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/714656/allow-to-define-multiple-sender-address

Feel free to vote if you believe it would be beneficial.
    • Edited by Antoine F Monday, December 19, 2011 6:29 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 6:28 PM
  • You can define multiple email accounts per sender, by writing a custom Delivery extension.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Thanks Kiranmanyee, I received that answer often for other issues.  I must say however this does seem like a task involving a sheer amount of work.

If you did so yourself, maybe you can comment on the following.  The documentation of the rendering extension is very disuasive and I assume, maybe wrongly, that it would apply to delivery extension as well.  Let me know if this is not the case.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms154606.aspx  (i put the part I found dissuasive in bold).

Writing Custom Rendering Extensions

Before you decide to create a custom rendering extension, you should evaluate simpler alternatives. You can:

• Customize rendered output by specifying device information settings for existing extensions.

• Add custom formatting and presentation features by combining XSL Transformations (XSLT) with the output of the XML rendering format.

Writing a custom rendering extension is difficult. A rendering extension must typically support all possible combinations of report elements and requires that you implement hundreds of classes, interfaces, methods, and properties. If you must render a report in a format that is not included with Reporting Services and decide to write your own managed code implementation of a rendering extension, the rendering extension code must implement the Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.IRenderingExtension interface, which is required by the report server.

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Delivery extension is pretty simple when compared to Rendering extension. I did write some delivery extensions for different needs.

Rendering extensions, on the other hand, are difficult as mentioned in the above article.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms154050.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms160778(SQL.90).aspx

The above links point to Delivery extensions. 

• Edited by Kiranmayee Monday, December 19, 2011 8:46 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I haven't tried this yet, but could you clone the delivery extension configuration for report server email with a different name and the different credentials, and use that delivery extension for the alternate address?

I'm about to give it a shot if I can find an appropriate test platform, and I will advise.

Andrew Raymond Sr. Implementation Consultant, Axonom MCAD .NET

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:21 PM