Shared folder limits? RRS feed

• Question

• Folks:

I understand that in windows 2003 there is a limit on the number of simultaneous accesses to the shared configuration file/folder (limit = 10, no?).  Anyway, I wanted to know in the Velocity context what this limit means?    Does it mean:

A)  That there can be no more than 10 hosts in the cluster?  OR,

B) That there cannot be more than 10  simultaneous queries?

I am assuming that each cache host is multi-threaded so it is possible to pump more than  10 simultaneous requests to Velocity at the same time.

Thanks,

- Bill
    Monday, November 9, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

• Bill

In practise, if the OS limits to a certain number [say 'n'] of simultaneous access to shared configuration, then 'B' is true. However, it is tough to call out when a remote machine 'closes' the connection with the network share. So if you have more than 'n' hosts in the Velocity cluster, you may see the 'max limits reached' at unexpected times.

By the way, need to check if windows server 2003 indeed has a limit of 10.

thanks,

Ankur
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:06 PM

All replies

• Bill

In practise, if the OS limits to a certain number [say 'n'] of simultaneous access to shared configuration, then 'B' is true. However, it is tough to call out when a remote machine 'closes' the connection with the network share. So if you have more than 'n' hosts in the Velocity cluster, you may see the 'max limits reached' at unexpected times.

By the way, need to check if windows server 2003 indeed has a limit of 10.

thanks,

Ankur
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Hi, Ankur:

Thanks for your reply.  Per this thread I discovered that the OS limit is not 10 per se but based on the number CALs associated.  (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/9a70af9e-c97f-4728-b195-e178a942450d).

To follow up on your reply, however,  I am a bit surprised.  I would assume it was A) in my original posting. 

Does each cache query read the configuration info?  Surely that cannot be -- it'd be too slow.  My assumption was that each cache-host would read the config file ONCE at startup (and perhaps through file system watcher re-read the config store once more per change) and then it would not need to read the config file again and again.  If my assumption is right,  then the maximum number of reads of the config file store would be equal to the number of cache hosts. 

What am I missing?

- Bill
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:27 PM