none
SQL Server 2008 Express R2 remote connection problem on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured SQL Server 2008 Express R2 for remote connection (MS SQL Server Management Studio/instance properties/Connections/Allow remote connections to this server; SQL server and SQL Server Browser services are running; TCP/IP is enabled). Firewall is turned off on all 4 PCs involved, having Windows 7. Anyhow, I have a problem with remote connection to SQL Server instance from 2 remote PCs. Connection works on local PC and only one remote, on which I couldn't find any difference with all others. I have tried through both named instance and IP address. I have tried configuring TCP/IP from SQL Server Configuration Manager, by putting TCP/IP port 1433 and deleting TCP Dynamic Ports under IPALL, with no effect.

Please help!

Monday, November 19, 2012 10:12 PM

Answers

• Please share the error message you are getting.

There are many reasons of SQL server connectivity issue. Use checklist that helps most of the time to find out the real cause of connectivity issue.

1. Check SQL services are running - Done

2. Check SQL Browser service is running - Done

3. Check remote connections are enabled - Done

4. Network connectivity between database & application servers by TRACERT command - Need to check

5. Check TCP/IP protocol enabled at SQL server - Done

6. Check talent connectivity – telnet <IP address> <port no on SQL server running>  - Need to check

7. Check UDP port 1434 is open or not on SQL Server  - Need to check

8. Check firewall is running or not Check - Done

9. If firewall running, SQL Server & UDP port must be added in exception in firewall - NA

http://mssqlfun.com/2012/09/28/check-list-for-sql-server-connectivity-issue/ 

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

Please, could you give more informations about your problems ?

- the full edition of the operating systems for your computers ( it is important if they are Home edition as only SQL Server authentification can be used )

- are these computers belonging to the same Windows domain ( controlled by a Windows Server primary controller ) or on a Windows Workgroup ?

- have you installed any security suite like Norton ( for example ) which often includes a separate firewall which could block any communication thru the 1433 TCP port ? 

- how are you trying to connect remotely to your SQL Server Express instance ? Thru a SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE in a shorter way ) installed on each computer or thru an application ? What is the full error message returned when the connection is failing ?

- have you got a look at the SystemSecurity/Applications log on the failing computer to see whether there is any error messages which could give more explanations about the causes of your problem ? If yes, post these messages

- Have you looked at the Error logs of your SQL Server to see whether there are any messages about a remote failing connection from your "faulty" remote computer ? If yes, post the messages

If you don't know how to read the log files ( of the SQL Server instance or the System/Application/Security on the failling computer ), don't hesitate to ask how to do it. It is difficult to know the knowledges level of the original post and i faced on this forum a grumbling poster because he didn't know how to do.

We are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please, could you give more informations about your problems ?

- the full edition of the operating systems for your computers ( it is important if they are Home edition as only SQL Server authentification can be used )

- are these computers belonging to the same Windows domain ( controlled by a Windows Server primary controller ) or on a Windows Workgroup ?

- have you installed any security suite like Norton ( for example ) which often includes a separate firewall which could block any communication thru the 1433 TCP port ? 

- how are you trying to connect remotely to your SQL Server Express instance ? Thru a SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE in a shorter way ) installed on each computer or thru an application ? What is the full error message returned when the connection is failing ?

- have you got a look at the SystemSecurity/Applications log on the failing computer to see whether there is any error messages which could give more explanations about the causes of your problem ? If yes, post these messages

- Have you looked at the Error logs of your SQL Server to see whether there are any messages about a remote failing connection from your "faulty" remote computer ? If yes, post the messages

If you don't know how to read the log files ( of the SQL Server instance or the System/Application/Security on the failling computer ), don't hesitate to ask how to do it. It is difficult to know the knowledges level of the original post and i faced on this forum a grumbling poster because he didn't know how to do.

We are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Please share the error message you are getting.

There are many reasons of SQL server connectivity issue. Use checklist that helps most of the time to find out the real cause of connectivity issue.

1. Check SQL services are running - Done

2. Check SQL Browser service is running - Done

3. Check remote connections are enabled - Done

4. Network connectivity between database & application servers by TRACERT command - Need to check

5. Check TCP/IP protocol enabled at SQL server - Done

6. Check talent connectivity – telnet <IP address> <port no on SQL server running>  - Need to check

7. Check UDP port 1434 is open or not on SQL Server  - Need to check

8. Check firewall is running or not Check - Done

9. If firewall running, SQL Server & UDP port must be added in exception in firewall - NA

http://mssqlfun.com/2012/09/28/check-list-for-sql-server-connectivity-issue/ 

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hi

You see the below link hope it will help you

http://www.linglom.com/2009/03/28/enable-remote-connection-on-sql-server-2008-express/

Ahsan Kabir Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://www.aktechforum.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thanks, this was helpfull. I didn't see that some sort of antivirus program was running, so I had to configure port for SQL Server in this application.

Now, only one client still hasn't connection with SQL server (which comunicates with other 2 correctly): this one has Windows XP (others are Windows 7). But this one doesn't ping server ip address at all, even though sharing files and printers works. If I can get any help for IP problem on this forum, would appriciate wery much. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:21 PM
  • for client machine, from you are not able to ping server.

Try to telnet the port of SQL server. IF that is even not working, ask network team to check connectivity between machine. YOu can also run TRACERT command from client to SQL server to check network connectivity path & to see where it is broken.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Very help ful post , all those stack overflow  ,code project fucked up my mind.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:46 AM