none
SQL Server 2008 - MS Visual Database Tools not found.

Question

• I'm experiencing an extremely frustrating situation here.   I have SQL Server 2008 SP3 and  Visual Studio Premium 2010 SP1.   I am unable to view or create database diagrams in either of those programs.   The problems started when I had installed the Developer previews of Denali and Visual Studio 11 in which I uninstalled them.   I have tried repairing,  reapplying the service packs, completely uninstalling both and then re-installing, as well as make sure I have all my windows updates.    And I still have the same issue. 

Here is the issue:

===================================

The specified module could not be found.

(MS Visual Database Tools)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.NativeMethods.ThrowOnFailure(Int32 hr)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con, String fileName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con, String fileName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con, String fileName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptFactory.CreateDesigner(DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, Urn parentUrn, IManagedConnection mc, String fileName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection mc, DocumentOptions options)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL Server 2008 Component name and version info:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.5500.0

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 10.0.5500.0

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.1.7601.17514

Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 

Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.5448

Operating System 6.1.7601

Any help would be much appreciated.    I would really hate to have to reformat.   

Thanks

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm experiencing an extremely frustrating situation here.   I have SQL Server 2008 SP3 and  Visual Studio Premium 2010 SP1.   I am unable to view or create database diagrams in either of those programs.   The problems started when I had installed the Developer previews of Denali and Visual Studio 11 in which I uninstalled them.   I have tried repairing,  reapplying the service packs, completely uninstalling both and then re-installing, as well as make sure I have all my windows updates.    And I still have the same issue. 

Hi thejman,

Did you mean that you had reinstalled and repaired Developer previews of Denali and Visual Studio 11?

You could try to repair SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 and Visual Studio Premium 2010 Service Pack 1 in Control Panel.

If it is not work, you may need to reinstall SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 and Visual Studio Premium 2010 Service Pack 1. Before you reinstall, you need to backup your database.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:28 AM
  • I had uninstalled the developer previews as the issues I was having and needed working tool for school.   And from uninstalling them it caused more issues with SQL Server 2008 and VS2010.   From there I repaired and then re-installed.   The thing I'm thinking is that when uninstalling the developer previews it didn't completely uninstall everything it should have which is causing more problems.   Perhaps I need a tool that can completely uninstall all traces of all Visual Studio's and SQL Server.   And hopefully the registry isn't holding old data that will prevent a smooth installation.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Hi thejman,

The issue may be caused by that you uninstalled Developer previews of Denali and Visual Studio 11. As I said in my last reply, you may need to reinstall SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 and Visual Studio Premium 2010 Service Pack 1. Before you reinstall, you need to backup your database.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Maggie LuoModerator Monday, December 5, 2011 2:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by thejman82 Monday, December 5, 2011 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Unfortunately none of these answers were able to solve my problem.  I decided to cut my losses on time and simple reformat my computer.  Everything is running smooth now.

Thanks

Monday, December 5, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I have pretty much the same scenario...

VS 2010 SP1 + SQL 2008 R2 SP1. (Originally Denali, which I uninstalled to replace with SQL Server 2008 R2)

My VS 2010 server explorer now throws errors whenever working with databases.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled SQL and VS and their related service packs repeatedly with no luck.

I can't bring myself to doing a format and reload...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Yeah it's frustrating to do a format for sure,  but as for me the time I invested into trying to resolve the issue without a format was far greater than simply backing up my data and reformatting.  Plus it's always nice to work on a fresh machine ;)

Note to self: Do not install developer previews on my work/school machine,  Save those for virtual machines/OS or another machine.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Sunday, January 1, 2012 1:10 AM
  • How is "reformatted my computer" accepted as an answer?! That's the answer to EVERY computer problem...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:32 PM
  • While working in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I came across an unwanted "The specified module could not be found. (MS Visual Database Tools)" when selecting to create a new 'Database Diagram'.

For resolving this issue I had to change some files from my system. After a long googling ... I found the exact path to which needed to change the files.

To resolve this issue please change the files from the following location

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8 (64 bit)

For more detail please go through the following link

http://harshgupta71.blogspot.in/2013/02/the-specified-module-could-not-be-found.html

• Edited by H Gupta Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:34 AM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Thanks so much! You saved my life
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:49 PM