Can't Create ODBC to Local SQL Server Express 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have SQL Server Express 2008 SP1 LOCALLY on my Windows XP Professional SP3 box. I have databases already created in Access 2007 that I imported into SQL. Now I want to keep the front end Access forms for data entry but have them connect to the databases in SQL. What I can't seem to do is connect from Access to the SQL db's because I can't create the ODBC connection.

When I try to connect, I get the following two 'Connection failed' errors:
    1. SQLState: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 10061
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

2. SQLState: 'HYT00'
    SQL Server Error: 0
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Login timeout expired

Additionally, this information may help.
    1. Windows firewall is turned off.
    2. In SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for SQLEXPRESS, Shared Memory, Named Pipes and TCP/IP are all 'Enabled'. The order is Shared Memory (1), Named Pipes (2) and TCP/IP (3).
    3. In SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration > Client Protocols, the above three are also 'Enabled'. The order is Shared Memory (1), Named Pipes (2) and TCP/IP (3). Double-clicking TCP/IP tells me that the default port is 1433.
    4. Running "netstat -ano", I see no entries for [myIPaddress]:1433.
    5. Running "telnet 192.168.x.x 1433" fails: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 1433: Connect failed"

Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:13 AM

Answers

All replies