none
How big is too big for database? RRS feed

• Question

• We're designing a database that will have hundreds of tables and millions of rows.  Is this a bad thing?  I.e. when does the size of a database become problematic?  If the database grows to many TB for example (even with periodic shrinking), is that still manageable?  Seems like a single MDF file of that size (or even much smaller than that) would be a problem.  thanks

Saturday, February 28, 2015 10:42 PM

Answers

• There is no problem with the SIZE of the database, it's when the architecture is poor and the queries are terrible. Not having proper indexing, maintenance, etc.

For example, don't use a single file. Use multiple files in multiple filegroups with multiple disks or mount points.

Having a proper database schema and design is first. Building the physical database structures on top of the hardware properly is the second step. Having properly designed queries, indexes, etc, is last.

Maintenance, refactor, rinse, repeat. Workload patterns will eventually change, keep up with them.

-Sean

The views, opinions, and posts do not reflect those of my company and are solely my own. No warranty, service, or results are expressed or implied.

Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:43 AM