none
The Cubes collection has been updated on the server - error RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SQl Server Analysis Services 2005 and an associated Visual Studio 2005 web application that utilizes the cube generated in Analysis Services. My problem is that after I make changes to the cube I sometimes get the error:

"The Cubes collection has been updated on the server" .

I've rebuilt the cube and deployed it..shouldn't that be enough? I also rebuilt the web app and am still getting the error. How do I get passed this?

thanks,

-M

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:59 PM

Answers

• I think what is happening is following;

After you make changes to your cube, or you fully reprocess your cube your server session becomes invalid. Any new request you ( or in this case charting control ) will be sending to the server will return you an error. For Analysis Server this is quite normal and expected behavior. After making changes have been made to the database Server needs to disvalidate sessions in order to prevent sending inconsistent data.

You application in this case simply needs to re-connect to Analysis Server. Close existing connection and open a new one, that should do it.

Edward.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:42 PM

All replies

• How do you connect to Analysis Services? Do you use HTTP connectivitly? What type of middle tier application you have? What it is doing?

Edward.
    --

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:08 AM
  • Hi Edward,

I connect using msolap. Here's an example of what I use:

// Create new instance of data provider

Dundas.Olap.Data.Adomd.AdomdDataProvider AdomdnetDataProvider1 = new Dundas.Olap.Data.Adomd.AdomdDataProvider();

// Set the connection string for the data provider

this.AdomdnetDataProvider1.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["cubeConnectionString"].ConnectionString;

//where my connectionString from web.config is:

<add name="cubeConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Provider=msolap;Catalog=cubeAnalysisService"/>

I'm using Dundas Charting from within my c# application to access the data cube.

thanks,

-Marilyn

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:19 PM
  • I think what is happening is following;

After you make changes to your cube, or you fully reprocess your cube your server session becomes invalid. Any new request you ( or in this case charting control ) will be sending to the server will return you an error. For Analysis Server this is quite normal and expected behavior. After making changes have been made to the database Server needs to disvalidate sessions in order to prevent sending inconsistent data.

You application in this case simply needs to re-connect to Analysis Server. Close existing connection and open a new one, that should do it.

Edward.
    --

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:42 PM