incorrect cpu_count reported after installing SQL2012 SP2 (x64) RRS feed

• Question

• installed SQLExpress 2012 with advanced services on my new Win 8.1 laptop. Since windows update is allowed to update all microsoft products, SP2 was installed also. After the update, i noticed 2 strange things:

1. SQL Agents appears in the configuration manager (not able to start)
    2. Reporting about number of logical and physical CPU is changed (screwed up).

The laptop has an 'AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics' which was identified as 1 physical en 4 logical CPUs. Now it's 4 Physical and 1 logical CPUs. Adding CU1 doesn't fix the problem either. MSinfo32 is reporting the correct values:

here's the output of sys.dm_os_sys_info (with version info):

On the properties screen in SSMS it says 4 processors.

I am sure it did report the correct logical/physical cpu, because I collected this data.

So why is dm_os_sys_info reporting wrong values?

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:24 PM

Answers

• 1. SQL Agents appears in the configuration manager (not able to start)

The SQL Server Agent is part of SQL Server Express Installation, but not part of the Express Edition Feature set; therefore you can see it, but you can't start/use it. But that's nothing new.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:40 AM

All replies

• 1. SQL Agents appears in the configuration manager (not able to start)

The SQL Server Agent is part of SQL Server Express Installation, but not part of the Express Edition Feature set; therefore you can see it, but you can't start/use it. But that's nothing new.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:40 AM
  • We just see 1 row in msinfo32 which means there is only 1 physical processor.

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Wilfred,

AMD A6-6310 APU is a Quad Core processor. Ie Single processor with 4 cores.

I think that is the reason why you see the values here.  

BOL for dm_os_sys_info says Hyperthread_ratio - Specifies the ratio of the number of logical or physical cores that are exposed by one physical processor package.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms143760.aspx 

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:42 AM
  • The column CPU_COUNT is the number of logical CPUs, according to this link If you divide CPU_COUNT by HYPERTHREAD_RATIO, you'll get the number of physical CPUs, which in my case results in an 1/4 = 0.25 physical cores

If this is a single socket, quad-core (i think so), both values should be 4 and these were the numbers after I installed the RTM version of MSSQL 2012 Express... it seems to be changed after SP2

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:04 PM
  • mmmm, it says 4 cores, 4 logical processors
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Wilfred,

Just for your information, the sys.dm_os_sys_info DMV is not always correct for those columns. For Example.

Your processor is an A6-6310 which is a single socket with 4 physical cores. It does NOT support hyper threading, so all cores are physical execution units and not logical execution units. Since it doesn't support hyper-threading the physical cores were stuffed in that column.

You have 4 processors on a single socket, the DMV and SSMS are correct.

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Microsoft Certified Master

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Sean,

Thanks for your answer. Seems I cannot fully rely on this DMV. But it's still a strange thing it was reported earlier as 4 CPU, 4 HYPERTHREAD_RATIO

Since this is my own laptop, I'll uninstall MSSQL and start with the RTM again to measure this DMV

Thanks everyone!

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:51 AM
  • The story continues!

Today I installed MSSQL 2014 RTM Developer Edition on my laptop (same where 2012 Express is installed).

Behold the results:

Just checked: SQL2012 is still reporting 1 CPU, 4 Hyperthread_ratio.

I'll install CU3 and let you know. (to be continued)

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:49 PM
  • CU3 also gives 4 CPU, 4 HYPERTHREAD_RATIO
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:09 PM