none
SQL Destination - Could not retrieve the table information for the connection manager. Object reference not set to an instance of an object RRS feed

• Question

• I suddenly get this message for SQL destinations: 

Could not retrieve the table information for the connection manager. Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I am using the latest version of Visual studio and I'm using SQL Server 2016. The connection works fine but I cannot select a destination table anymore. This always worked fine but "suddenly" (maybe after upgrade of VS) it's broken.

Any ideas? I already removed the folders in the profile like mentioned in this topic:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34084003/visual-studio-error-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object-after

Error:

Friday, October 4, 2019 10:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Kraaitje,

Ensure 1st you can connect to the destination via SSMS (Management Studio).

If you can, this is not a security related issue, and thus need to see if is the driver.

I am not sure what version of VS you use, but it is better to use VS 2017 against SQL Server 2016

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

• Marked as answer by Kraaitje Monday, October 7, 2019 11:28 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Kraaitje,

Ensure 1st you can connect to the destination via SSMS (Management Studio).

If you can, this is not a security related issue, and thus need to see if is the driver.

I am not sure what version of VS you use, but it is better to use VS 2017 against SQL Server 2016

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

• Marked as answer by Kraaitje Monday, October 7, 2019 11:28 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 1:44 PM
  • Hi Kraaitje,

You can try the latest Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server.

"...

Important

The previous Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (SQLOLEDB) and SQL Server Native Client OLE DB provider (SQLNCLI) remains deprecated and it is not 
    recommended to use either for new development work..."

Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server

Released: Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server

ADO NET Destination

Friday, October 4, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Hi Kraaitje,

May I know if you can test the connection successfully?

Please try to recreate the connection manager and the destination.

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I re-installed the 2017 version of Visual Studio with the data tools and the problems are gone. I think there's a bug in the new version that is causing these problems. I would suggest not to upgrade the tools when they work fine :-)

Monday, October 7, 2019 11:28 AM