none
Error Installing Mgmt Studio 2014 during SQL Server 2014 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2014.  The database upgrade was without problems, however, I cannot get Management Studio updated.  I have reviewed the log files, but not certain what action to take. 

Action required:

Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.

Feature failure reason:

An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.

Error details:

§ Error installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell

Error 1911.Could not register type library for file C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\dte90.olb.  Contact your support personnel.

Error code: 1911

Log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup
    Bootstrap\Log\20150806_081315\VSShell_Cpu32_1.log

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:16 PM

Answers

• Not exactly sure why, but found another post somewhere....Uninstalling KB3072630 update and reboot allowed us to proceed with Management Studio update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3072630

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Hi erowden,

Based on my research, the issue could be caused by that dte90.olb file is not registered correctly or corrupted.

To fix the dte90.olb error, please use Microsoft Register Server to register the file again on the Windows system. If it doesn’t work, please copy the dte90.olb file from another server which has same SQL Server version and build, then register the file again.  For more details, please review this blog.

However, if the issue still persists, please uninstall and reinstall the SQL Server Management Studio component.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 7, 2015 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try to install it manually. Download it from the following URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1366

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Hi erowden,

Based on my research, the issue could be caused by that dte90.olb file is not registered correctly or corrupted.

To fix the dte90.olb error, please use Microsoft Register Server to register the file again on the Windows system. If it doesn’t work, please copy the dte90.olb file from another server which has same SQL Server version and build, then register the file again.  For more details, please review this blog.

However, if the issue still persists, please uninstall and reinstall the SQL Server Management Studio component.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 7, 2015 5:51 AM
  • Hi,

I've succeeded to escape this trouble by the following help.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28700394/SQL-2012-upgrade-failing.html

Good luck!

Monday, August 17, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hey Guys, 

Would it be possible to paste the Experts Exchange solution here or at least describe was was done?  I do not have a premium account and am the exact same boat with one of my systems.

Cheers!

Monday, August 31, 2015 9:12 PM
  • right same problem - the fixes from above postings did not solve this for me. Is there a known fix to this error 1911 - just trying to install the Management studio onto a server for admin access. I am suspicious that a Office 2013 windows update may be the issue - but i have no idea as to which. Manually registering dte90.olb did not fix. Nor did installing the full visual studio 2010 shell (it also produced error 1911)

If you have a solution that works please post it directly here.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Not exactly sure why, but found another post somewhere....Uninstalling KB3072630 update and reboot allowed us to proceed with Management Studio update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3072630

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Uninstalling KB3072630 worked for me.  My install is proceeding normally now.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:55 PM