none
Design a Web portal using SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

Is it possible to develop a company web portal for maintaining and updating the training details available ??

As a high level requirement I have an idea what it would include

1) Training details - Type , date, venue , seats available etc

2) details against an emplpyee - num & types of training he already has gone through and what is scheduled for the employee in future....etc..

Does SSRS allow to edit and delete data....directly in the database tables ???

Thanks....

Friday, October 24, 2008 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Report Viewer is a read only component in Reporting Server. So you could not delete and modify data by Report Viewer.

According to your requirements, you want to build a web portal to hold your reports and other information which from your business. Simply, you could develop your Web Portal by Visual Studio and use Report Viewer control to display status of your training.

By the way, Microsoft SharePoint Server can generate Web Portal by template. After you integrate Reporting Service and Microsoft SharePoint Server, reports management will easier. So I suggest that you build web portal through Microsoft SharePoint Server.

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:47 AM

All replies

• hi,

I am not sure whether this is going to be helpful. But what i think you can do is create one report which shows all detail as you mentioned. It will use one SQL table (may be more) and then get the data from there. U can link this table into Access and give that table to any one who is updating that table. So indirectly you are using table in access (which is convenient for anyone) which is linked into SQL Server. That means u r entering data into live database table.

I hope it helps. U cant edit in front end of SSRS.

regards,

vijay

Friday, October 24, 2008 11:11 AM
  • Can somebody please suggest a tool to develop such a web portal.

I know there would be numerous such tools available but is there any tool where I can use T-SQL or SQL Server rules and logic to develop the application ?

Pls do excuse me for such a naive ques

Thanks...

Friday, October 24, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  Sweta Dutta wrote:

Hello friends,

Is it possible to develop a company web portal for maintaining and updating the training details available ??

As a high level requirement I have an idea what it would include

1) Training details - Type , date, venue , seats available etc

2) details against an emplpyee - num & types of training he already has gone through and what is scheduled for the employee in future....etc..

Does SSRS allow to edit and delete data....directly in the database tables ???

Thanks....

SSRS 2005 is good for data presentation (e.g. charts, table, matrix, tree). I have good experience with SSRS 2005 and I can say that it is ok for your 1) and 2).

Please see some reports from my website.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Report Viewer is a read only component in Reporting Server. So you could not delete and modify data by Report Viewer.

According to your requirements, you want to build a web portal to hold your reports and other information which from your business. Simply, you could develop your Web Portal by Visual Studio and use Report Viewer control to display status of your training.

By the way, Microsoft SharePoint Server can generate Web Portal by template. After you integrate Reporting Service and Microsoft SharePoint Server, reports management will easier. So I suggest that you build web portal through Microsoft SharePoint Server.

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:47 AM