none
Include generic reference to ReportExecutionService for utilities RRS feed

• Question

• Ok

I have a utility to generate an in memory render of an SSRS report.  I want to put it in a library so it can get used across multiple projects.  The problem is that I can't find a way to include a reference to the proper DLL without adding reference to an existing Web Reference.  My code uses ReportExecutionService, ExecutionHeader and ParameterValue.  I get a:

"Thetype or namespace name 'ReportExecutionService' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

I've seen posts that it exists in reportexecutionservice.dll or ReportExecution2005.dll but I can't find those files anywhere.  I just find it hard to believe that I have to actually create a reference to an existing server that can then be used to connect to any server.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

David

dbl

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi David, 

There is no such kind of dll for directly using. If you need to use ReportExcutionService Class in your application, you need to set the Url and Credentials properties of the web service before making any method calls. See here. My personal assumption is by this credentials, the rs server would be able to check the licence of rs and so on.

Please see similar thread :ReportService2005.dll (Also ignore the second post in the thread, the information is wrong and misguiding, just read the answer.)

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi David, 

There is no such kind of dll for directly using. If you need to use ReportExcutionService Class in your application, you need to set the Url and Credentials properties of the web service before making any method calls. See here. My personal assumption is by this credentials, the rs server would be able to check the licence of rs and so on.

Please see similar thread :ReportService2005.dll (Also ignore the second post in the thread, the information is wrong and misguiding, just read the answer.)

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:03 AM
  • So I have to include a Service Reference to any existing ssrs server and then just change the urls and credentials at run time.  Yes I had already read the first link which points to ReportExecution2005.dll as the assembly that its in which is where my initial comment came from.  Seems to me to be a lacking of the design. 

dbl

Friday, August 23, 2019 5:12 PM