none
Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2.

Question

•  Hey there,

I am getting this error as my database is not functioning properly, and when I look at the tables, there are none there.

The error said to run a dbcc check db so I did and I get this:

Msg 1823, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.

Msg 7928, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The database snapshot for online checks could not be created. Either the reason is given in a previous error or one of the underlying volumes does not support sparse files or alternate streams. Attempting to get exclusive access to run checks offline.

Msg 5030, Level 16, State 12, Line 1

The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.

Msg 7926, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Check statement aborted. The database could not be checked as a database snapshot could not be created and the database or table could not be locked. See Books Online for details of when this behavior is expected and what workarounds exist. Also see previous errors for more details.

Msg 823, Level 24, State 2, Line 1

Please HELP!! Should I take the database offline while the hardware guys look into the server problems??

• Edited by gmazza88 Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:59 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:53 PM

Answers

• Should I be taking the db offline in the meantime or what should I do with the database as these errors are happening every second??

I don't want to do a restore, should I just wait until the hardware problems are fixed? Then what?

Anyone experience anything like this?

So you have a known hardware problem that hasn't been fixed yet???

The error message you got, the 1823 "A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.", is what is preventing CHECKDB from running.  I would first fix the hardware problem and then if you get this error when you try to run DBCC CHECKDB, set the database to single user mode with ALTER DATABASE <dbname> SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE and then immediately run DBCC CHECKDB WITH TABLOCK on the database with the next statement in the batch.

What backups do you have of this database, what recovery model is it using, and when is the last time that you tested restoring from your backups?  Before you do anything to this database beyond running DBCC CHECKDB, take a backup.  You at least then have the database before you started messing with it, in its currently corrupted state.

Jonathan Kehayias | Senior Consultant, SQLSkills.com
    SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by gmazza88 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:22 PM

All replies

• 823 is not a good error.  It is time to check the memory on that machine.  For more information: http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Dont-confuse-error-823-and-error-832.aspx
    Phil Brammer | http://www.ssistalk.com | Twitter: http://twitter.com/PhilBrammer
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:58 PM
  • Should I be taking the db offline in the meantime or what should I do with the database as these errors are happening every second??

I don't want to do a restore, should I just wait until the hardware problems are fixed? Then what?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:03 PM

So you have a known hardware problem that hasn't been fixed yet???

The error message you got, the 1823 "A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.", is what is preventing CHECKDB from running.  I would first fix the hardware problem and then if you get this error when you try to run DBCC CHECKDB, set the database to single user mode with ALTER DATABASE <dbname> SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE and then immediately run DBCC CHECKDB WITH TABLOCK on the database with the next statement in the batch.

What backups do you have of this database, what recovery model is it using, and when is the last time that you tested restoring from your backups?  Before you do anything to this database beyond running DBCC CHECKDB, take a backup.  You at least then have the database before you started messing with it, in its currently corrupted state.

Jonathan Kehayias | Senior Consultant, SQLSkills.com
    SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by gmazza88 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:22 PM