none
Cannot read the next data row for the data set RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My report runs fine when I view in VS, data shows fine when I run the query in the data window, but when I publish it to the server, I get the above error. I am running SQL server 2005 RTM and I have re-deployed the entire solution.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:39 PM

Answers

• Found the problem.

This is a problem that is down to a bug in reporting services, and I sincerely hope that "they" fix it in the first sp!

Occasionally, reporting services will change your parameter types to string. This is sooooo annoying, and normally fails when you view, but in this case, it took my parameters (date/time) that were already in the parameter boxes (I am altering an existing report) and ran the report happily. I just happened to see that there were no calendar boxes next to the parameters on my web server.

^%$£"$%^&*&%£$%^&(*&^%$ is all I can say - this has wasted 2 hours of my time.

Please please Microsoft, fix this bug! A hot fix would be good.....beg beg

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:54 PM

All replies

• Found the problem.

This is a problem that is down to a bug in reporting services, and I sincerely hope that "they" fix it in the first sp!

Occasionally, reporting services will change your parameter types to string. This is sooooo annoying, and normally fails when you view, but in this case, it took my parameters (date/time) that were already in the parameter boxes (I am altering an existing report) and ran the report happily. I just happened to see that there were no calendar boxes next to the parameters on my web server.

^%$£"$%^&*&%£$%^&(*&^%$ is all I can say - this has wasted 2 hours of my time.

Please please Microsoft, fix this bug! A hot fix would be good.....beg beg

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

I experienced similar problems with some of my RS reports and find a solution for my case

I tried to explain the problem and solution at the article http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=53

For my situation, it seemed that the NULL values within aggregate functions were causing the problem.

Actually although the sql code runs successsfully the warning message "Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation." returned from the sql server was causing the Reporting Services to fire the below error:

An error occured during report processing.
    Cannot read the next data row for the data set Dataset1.
    A sever error occured on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

A simple way to get rid of the problem is running the t-sql codes between "SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF" and "SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON" commands.

Eralper

http://www.kodyaz.com

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:18 PM
  • I had a similar problem.

I also read the article at http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=53 .

I discovered that my problem was with stored procedures and account permissions.

I had left GRANT statements in the stored procedures.

When I ran the procs individually the I did not get an error.

I also did not get an error when I switched from design view to the preview view for the reports.

When I ran the report from the report manger, I got the error.

After I removed the GRANT statements from the procedures the report ran as expected.

I now realize that while I was running the reports and procs from my development box , there were running under my user account.

That account had local machine admin and database admin rights.

When I accessed the reports from report manager, the report were using the account that I had setup in the share data source.

That account had limited permissions in the database.

A permission error was occuring in the background, but it as not report that way in the report.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 2:30 PM
  • What do you mean 'you left grant statements in the stored procedures' ?

Scripting of permissions is an option in mgmt studio

Tools - Options - SQL Server Object Explorer

Object Scripting Options
       Script permissions TRUE/FALSE

Friday, August 8, 2008 9:08 AM
  • I tried setting the warnings off but that didn't work for me. 

My report is fed by a stored procedure, I added the lines to manipulate ANSI_WARNINGS and the report still choked.  I ran the proc again to see if it returned a warning and it did so setting the warning on and off and it didn't help.  I fixed the condition in the proc that produced the warning and the report now runs every time.  So it looks to me like you must have a stored procedure that runs clean or Reporting Services chokes.

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I had the same issue and by changing the report execution property

Report Execution Timeout
    from the Use default setting to the do not time out allowed the report to work 

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:39 PM
  • I had a the same problem with my report. I run it on Visual Studio 2005 with preview mode and it runs succesfully, but when I deploy it to the server it gives me the error "Cannot read the next data row for the data set xxx". I looked into my sql code and noticed that I tried to drop some temporary tables within the code. I removed those lines. And I put set ansi_warnings off at the very beginning. Finally I built and deployed the code, and it worked. I was really happy
    Friday, September 5, 2008 9:51 AM
  • Hi;

I received a similar error in one of my SQL server reporting services reports. I found that connection to a specific table in the database was not possible. After re-indexing the table, the problem was solved. 

To re-index a table you can use this code: dbcc dbreindex (TableName)
    • Proposed as answer by rmcsharry Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:41 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:03 PM
  • I had the same issue and by changing the report execution property

Report Execution Timeout

from the Use default setting to the do not time out allowed the report to work 

This fix worked for me as well running ssrs 2000 version.  I also tried the 'isnulls' suggestion, but had no luck...thanks for posting guys...this was a huge help and a great discussion...!
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:31 PM
  • I had the same issue. Worked fine on my pc in Dev mode but not on the server. I changed the proc for the report to SET NOCOUNT ON at the beginning and that fixed it. When this is off, it may send 2 recordsets to SSRS which it cannot handle.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:02 AM
  • Hi;

I received a similar error in one of my SQL server reporting services reports. I found that connection to a specific table in the database was not possible. After re-indexing the table, the problem was solved. 

To re-index a table you can use this code: dbcc dbreindex (TableName)

My Stored Proc was using a lookup table, which we had just truncated and repopulated and the dataset went from a few hundred records to only six...and then we started seeing this error on the deployed report (but not in BIDS).

Re-indexing the table fixed the error. Thanks to Mehmet for posting that fix.

Richard

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Changing the rreport execution property worked for me.  Thanks, Uncle-Bob.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

I experienced the same problem and I fixed it by changing parameters back to Data/Time from Text (string) data type. I hope this bug wont be in SSRS 2008 R2.. Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Jiri Jakoubek Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I tried all suggestions, the only one that worked was changing the parameter back to datetime from text. 

Thanks jirkaj

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:17 PM
  • I'm having the same issue but a little different. I'm not getting the error but other people are. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I was able to correct this error by removing the maxRequestLength="20000" in the the 'web.config' : ...\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportManager\web.config

You may be able to increase the value to resolve also.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 10:43 PM
  • After changes I have to reboot the server or not?
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

M Facing same issue PFB Screenshot. Whereas this issue facing for some users only.

Top two parameters value type is int and date sends todays date.

When i had amended report query includes SET ANSI_WARNINGS statement, Report runs with no data. whereas for same report other users are able to view report.

Can anyone Help me on this please?

Thanks & Regards,

Sumedh Save

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Hi Sumedh,

Were you able to get any solution?

I am also facing the same error in SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services for one of my production report.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Guys,

For one report even I am getting error message in production but same report working fine in Test Env:

I am investigating further for root-cause and will update. 

• An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
      • Cannot read the next data row for the dataset xxx. (rsErrorReadingNextDataRow)
        • For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Hi All,

Upon investigation found that there was an issue with converting varchar value to datatime datatype in Stored Procedure and that is why report was throwing error.

I ran same report in BIDS and got clear error message

• An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
      • Cannot read the next data row for the dataset xxx. (rsErrorReadingNextDataRow)
      • The conversion of a varchar datatype to a datetime datatype resulted in an out-of-range value

Once I corrected this, It is working fine.

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:52 PM
  • Thanks, I had the same problem and after I read this I found a GRANT statement at the end of my stored proc and removed it.

It is fine now.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:33 PM
  • Thank you so much! 
    Friday, December 9, 2016 10:32 PM
  • I try this and it only ran correctly for 4 tries, then it spawned the same error... What is going on here is it a bug in MS SQL? because I'm seeing different solutions posted here... And again think Microsoft cares to help anyone, of course not...

• Edited by TheHose Friday, December 30, 2016 5:09 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 5:05 PM
  • After a whole day searching and thinking about this, in my case it was permissions to the database I was using "ReportServerNNN_NNN" which resolved the issue. I can't explain why it would work the 4 times before (after switching the parameters from String to Date/Time). Thank You Jiri & grimreaper for a starting point to a resolution...

So I guess the fact that the error message was directing us else where was the big gotcha here...

Regards,

Friday, December 30, 2016 8:51 PM
  • Hii

if you find solution of this above issue please share it.

Friday, January 27, 2017 4:14 AM
  • Thanks. My reports had the same issue, and your solution worked great.

After deleting Grant statement it worked.

M.M.Patel

• Edited by Patel Mayur Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:04 PM
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:02 PM
  • I agree the error is caused by something in your query or procedure statement, you should use the Query designer when building your SQL Statement in the "Dataset Properties" dialog box and click the "Run" button and preview the data before closing out the dialog box to prevent further unnecessary research, chances are it is probably not the Target URL Server nor the Report Services Configuration Manager connection at all.  

I should have previewed my SQL statement in the first place and this would have saved me time.

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:15 PM
  • It's been 12 years since this error and this still worked for me on 1/12/2018!!! Must be an old bug that was re-released... 
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:37 AM
  • In my case, it was an oversight on my part. I am in the process of upgrading to SQL 2017 and one of my production SQL report was hooked to a data source that was still pointing at our test server, instead of our production server. Once I changed the connection properties of the data source to point to the production SQL server, the issue was resolved.

John

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 3:56 PM