none
Installing SQL Server Management Studio 2016 on Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I am trying to install SQL Server Management Studio 2016 on Windows Server 2016, however when I try to run the installer I am met with the message "This app can't run on your PC".  "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." 

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get past the message?

Many thanks,

Gurbhajan

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hello Teige,

Since initially posting to this forum I have deleted and recreated the Virtual Machine.  I had assumed that SQL Server Management Studio was not supported on Windows Server 2016 and so I installed it on a Windows 10 machine and remotely accessed the new Virtual Machine.

I downloaded the installer onto the new Virtual Machine and tried to install SSMS again in the hope to generate a message from the event log, however the installation no longer shows the original message.

This time, I can only assume that originally the installer may have been corrupt yet oddly was able to generate the message I had reported.

Its all very strange but its not a problem now and I thank you for taking the time to investigate the matter.

Gurbhajan

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gurbhajan Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Hi Gurbhajan,

It is pleasant that your problem has been solved, it looks like that this issue was caused by the broken of installation media, next time, we can check the MD5 of the installation media after downloading.

Could you please mark your reply and other replies which can help you as "Answered"?

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:37 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

What is os bit?

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-this-app-cant-run-on-your-pc-windows-10

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Windows Server 2016.
    Monday, November 7, 2016 1:42 PM
  • It is not listed in the supported OS for SSMS 2016

Supported Operating systems

This release of SSMS supports the following platforms when used with the latest available service pack:
    Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Server 2012 (64-bit), Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

--------------------------------------

Is it latest OS? Perhaps SSMS 2016 is not yet aware of this new OS version (I'm guessing here). If that's the case, we may expect new SSMS soon. You may in the meantime create a Connect item.

I can see it was released only recently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2016

so most likely my guess is correct and this OS was not tested and supported by SSMS 2016. It will probably catch up soon.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi NModerator Monday, November 7, 2016 1:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AV111 Monday, November 7, 2016 3:43 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2016 1:51 PM
  • Thank you, I was aware its not listed but found it odd that SQL Server 2016 is supported on Windows 2016 and I did not expect the installation to not start at all.
    Monday, November 7, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Hi Gurbhajan,

Could you please tell use the version of the SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) and Windows Server 2016?

Based on my test, I can install SSMS 16.5 on Windows Server 2016 version 1607 build 14393.313, the version of Windows Server 2016 is as shown as below picture, you can upgrade SSMS and Windows Server 2016 to the latest version, you can download SSMS 16.5 from this link.

Best Regards,
    Teige
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Hello Teige,

I am running the same version of Windows Server as you are and I used the installer from the same link in your reply. 

The only other difference could be that my instance of Windows Server is running on a Virtual Machine in Azure.  I am not sure why it should make a difference because a I have installed similar setup has worked with previous releases of SQL Server and management studio.

Thanks,

Gurbhajan.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi Gurbhajan,

Our Windows Server 2016 is also running on the Virtual Machine. Could you please check in the Windows Event log to find if there exists the related error message, if exists, could you please share it to us for analysis?

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hello Teige,

Since initially posting to this forum I have deleted and recreated the Virtual Machine.  I had assumed that SQL Server Management Studio was not supported on Windows Server 2016 and so I installed it on a Windows 10 machine and remotely accessed the new Virtual Machine.

I downloaded the installer onto the new Virtual Machine and tried to install SSMS again in the hope to generate a message from the event log, however the installation no longer shows the original message.

This time, I can only assume that originally the installer may have been corrupt yet oddly was able to generate the message I had reported.

Its all very strange but its not a problem now and I thank you for taking the time to investigate the matter.

Gurbhajan

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Hi Gurbhajan,

It is pleasant that your problem has been solved, it looks like that this issue was caused by the broken of installation media, next time, we can check the MD5 of the installation media after downloading.

Could you please mark your reply and other replies which can help you as "Answered"?

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:37 AM