none
SSDT 15.4.0 preview - "source control provider associated with this solution could not be found"

Question

• I installed SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 release "15.4.0 preview" on Windows Server 2012 R2, and I configured it to use TFS(in my case TFS 2015). I then synced out all project/solutions to my local workarea. They are all of version SQL Server 2016. I have previously worked with these projects and solutions in SSDT 2015.
    When I click a .sln files to open my solution, I get the message:

"The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.
    Do you want to permanently remove the source control bindings from this project?"

I click NO, since I do not want that... (I have tested yes also, but I can't see any difference in behavior)

Then I get the question:
    "The project file <NNNNNNNNNN>.dtproj is not bound to source control, but the solution contains source control binding information for it. Do you want to open the project using source control binding information from the solution or open it as unbound and fix the solution file?"

Here I choose the option:
    "Use solution binding"

I can work with the files, and the source control alternatives exist when I right-click the files in the Solution explorer, but there are no graphical indicators showing whether that files are checked-in or out etc...
    I can browse my solutions/projects and files in "Source Control Explorer", and the Team Explorer seems to work fine.

But why do I get error message about the "source control provider ", and why is there no TFS Icons in solution explorer, has anyone else experienced this?

Monday, October 23, 2017 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

Compatibility with Previous Releases
    Team Explorer and Team Foundation Server
    Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2017 will connect to Team Foundation Server 2017, Team Foundation Server 2015, Team Foundation Server 2013, Team Foundation Server 2012, and Team Foundation Server 2010 SP1.
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-compatibility-vs

Maybe to try to bind projects again
    path should be like File/Source Control/Advanced/Change Source Control, choose each solution/projects and then Bind

Change Source Control
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/internals/test-area-5-change-source-control

Monday, October 23, 2017 10:26 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the tip.
    I tried it, I did unbind and bind on both project and solution, but it made no difference.
    Next time I open the solution/project, I get the same errors.

The weird thing is that everything seems to be ok, I can check files in and out, all options are there when right-clicking on files in the solution explorer, but I get no graphical indicators there about if it is checked in or out.
    But I can see in the source control explorer that the file is checked out... 

Note! I updated to 15.4.1, but it made no difference.

Something I thought about now: I did not have VS2017 installed before I installed SSDT, so the VS gets installed by the SSDT installer. Can this affect anything maybe?
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:19 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with VS 2015 Update 3 Professional (connecting to TFS 2017) and SSDT 17.3 after upgrading the Reporting Services project files to the latest version.

VS's question regarding Solution Binding is asked every time the Solution is subsequently opened.

Creating a new Solution and Reporting Services project, then electing to add to Source Control causes the same behaviour, so it doesn't appear to be a problem introduced during the upgrade of the project files.

Chris

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Hi,

I can report the same problem, even with a brand new solution/project and TFS.

I can successfully create a new VS 2017 solution and 2 new 'blank' BI projects (1 SSIS and 1 SSRS) and check all into TFS 2010 quite happily.

If I then close the solution and re-open the solution then I get the same error reported by Andreas.

"The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.
    Do you want to permanently remove the source control bindings from this project?"

If I think the issue maybe SSDT 15.4 in my case and the cut-down version of Visual Studio 2017 it installs as I have spoken to 2 other developers and they have no problems (though they run full versions of VS 2017 not the SSDT version)

1. 1 developer is running VS 2017 full and TFS 2010 (works fine)
    2. 1 developer is running VS 2017 Community Edition, TFS 2017 (works fine)

Alan

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:33 PM
  • I've just installed the full version of VS 2017 Professional and installed SSDT 15.4 - same problem unfortunately, so the full version of VS is behaving the same for me as others have reported for the 'cut-down' version.

Chris

Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:05 AM
  • I uninstalled everything, then did an install of VS2017 pro before adding SSDT. That resolved it for me. Seems like that the "slimmed" VS2017 that gets installed when just installing SSDT directly lacks some functionality for source control...
    Friday, October 27, 2017 6:42 AM
  • I am also getting the error below since updating from VS2017 15.4.1 to 15.4.2

"The project file <NNNNNNNNNN>.dtproj is not bound to source control, but the solution contains source control binding information for it. Do you want to open the project using source control binding information from the solution or open it as unbound and fix the solution file?"

I've tried uninstalling VS2017, SSDT, SSMS 17.3 and reinstalling them all with SSDT coming after VS2017 but still getting the same error message each time I open the solution which is very frustrating.

Each time I open my solution and selecting "Use Solution Binding" for all my SSRS projects I'm finding that the project file is being checked out and showing as a pending change when nothing has, any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thursday, November 02, 2017 10:26 AM
  • I have managed to resolve this for now by doing the following

1. Uninstall Visual Studio 2017 15.4.2 and SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) 15.4.0 preview
    2. Install Visual Studio 2017 15.3.5
    3. Install SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) 15.4.0 preview
    4. Remove Microsoft Reporting Services Projects 1.17 in Extensions and Updates
    5. Install Microsoft Reporting Services Projects 1.18 in Extensions and Updates

I've found that updating Visual Studio 2017 to 15.4.2 after this none of the business intelligence projects are available. Microsoft Reporting Services Projects 1.18 was listed in Extensions and Updates but I had to reinstall SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) 15.4.0 preview to get Integration Services projects back followed by installing Microsoft Analysis/Reporting Services Projects via Extensions and Updates.

• Proposed as answer by Developer_46038 Thursday, November 02, 2017 2:15 PM
    Thursday, November 02, 2017 12:10 PM
  • For info these are the versions of VS/SSDT that I currently have installed. I don't have any Analysis Services projects under version control to check if that is causing a problem. I also have SSMS 17.3 installed:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017 
    Version 15.4.2
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.4.2+27004.2006
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.02053

Installed Version: Professional

SQL Server Analysis Services   14.0.1012.227
    Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Designer 
    Version 14.0.1012.227

SQL Server Data Tools   15.1.61707.200
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

SQL Server Integration Services   
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 14.0.800.98

SQL Server Reporting Services   14.0.1016.227
    Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers 
    Version 14.0.1016.227
    Thursday, November 02, 2017 2:11 PM
  • It is definitely the SSDT installer breaking things. Your fix for 2017 works.

Thursday, November 02, 2017 2:35 PM
  • Yes, I fixed the issue in 1.18, but VS Extensions isn't detecting it as a newer version and allowing an upgrade.  As mheptinstall mentioned, you will need to uninstall 1.17 and then install 1.18 to address this issue.

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:20 PM