none
Log SHipping RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

We have Log shipping Configured in our environment From Prod to UAT. Accidentally one of my team member deleted logfile before them one's getting applied on slave server. Now is there any chance that we can  reestablish logshipping  or should we go for complete rebuild?

Regards,

Varun

Monday, May 18, 2015 9:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1) take Differential bakcup

2) verify that 

RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'C:\AdventureWorks.BAK'

check that part showing or not.

3) restore on second node.

Use the following query to check when is the last log backup file that was copied:

SELECT * FROM [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary]
    And, also check what was the last log backup file was restore.

SELECT * FROM [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases]
    Monday, May 18, 2015 9:40 AM
  • Differential backup will work only if that goes to last full backup and that was the same backup you used for setting up log shipping. In short after setting up log shipping if any full backup(without copy_only) was performed on primary then diff backup will not help.

You will need to rebuild completely using full backup.

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Monday, May 18, 2015 10:00 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Differential backup will work only if that goes to last full backup and that was the same backup you used for setting up log shipping. In short after setting up log shipping if any full backup(without copy_only) was performed on primary then diff backup will not help.

You will need to rebuild completely using full backup.

We have daily full and hourly tx log backup configd on Prod Server.. So in my case rebuild is the only option?
    Monday, May 18, 2015 1:24 PM
  • Yes, you have to rebuild entire Log Shipping unless the latest full backup is used to create your current log shipping process. 
    Monday, May 18, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Yes we will need to rebuild from full backup we dont have any other option.
    Monday, May 18, 2015 3:45 PM
  • We have daily full and hourly tx log backup configd on Prod Server.. So in my case rebuild is the only option?

Are you saying you manually take transaction log backup of database which is configured in Logshipping ?.

Yes as already suggested that is the only option.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:03 PM