none
SQL Server service stopped unexpectedly event ID 7034

Question

• On one of UAT server we are having  issue with SQL Serverices and they are stopped unexpectedly .There is failure details  in Event logs \SQL Error logs. we havent done any of the changes on server.

Event id : 7034

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:57 AM

All replies

• Hello ,

Please post complete error log message in text format by running SP_readerrorlog

Please also post any related error from even viewer.Please post output of below

select @@version

Thanks

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:31 AM
  • When the issue occurs, are minidumps generated at the SQL Server LOG folder?

Log folder: ...\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\<instance_id>\MSSQL\Log

Minidumps have a file extension of .mdmp

Analyzing these minidumps with a debugger can tell you what causes the crash.

Otherwise, the standard way to troubleshoot this issue, is to attach a debugger at the sqlservr.exe process and produce a crash dump when the issue reoccurs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350

You need to find someone with debugging expertise to analyze these memory dumps though...

JODASK

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

so late but still, any solution you got or still  waiting for that?

Are you able to check os\sql logs and find out anything which may appear that causing and putting a cascading effect on the services?

Also you can add some more attempts for the services to try like below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Change the recovery actions

To resolve this issue, change the recovery actions that the Service Control Manager (SCM) will take when a service fails.

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

To change the recovery actions for a service:

1. Open the Services snap-in by clicking the Start button, Control Panel, and Administrative Tools, then double-clicking Services.

Note: For Windows Vista, use the Classic View display option in Control Panel to see the Administration Tools.

1. In the details pane of the Services snap-in, right-click on the name of the service you want to stop and select Properties.
    2. Click the Recovery tab and specify the recovery actions for the service (for example, restart the service or the computer, take no action, or run a program).

-----------------------------------------------------------

It will be  good to share any logs around the time it fails.

Thanks for sharing.

Santosh Singh

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Please provide us with log .. is the sql service is running currently ?

If not please go to error log physical location and copy the log and paste it here..

To narraow the issue easily the best source for us is log :)

Raju Rasagounder MSSQL DBA

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:06 PM
  • i am also facing the same issue. in my server Recovery Actions are:

First Failure:Take no action

Second Failure:Take no Action

Subsequent Failure:Take no action.

Can u please advise what i have to change in this recovery actions

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Hi Sreenivas,

Above suggestions were made to just add some more attempts to start services like in case that is suffering from just one time failure than it can bring your services back on track.

Also you can add some intervals too, as might be some time databases takes time to do recovery or some other dependencies you have added in your environment wherein service is taking time to recovery completely.

But before going into such case, we need to follow above said option to follow some quick fix stuffs. Now in parallel you need to check the relevant logs like sql, os and mapping your finding to conclude that there are issues and then work on permanent fix part.

This needs through analysis of all the logs to identify what issues you might have with your server.

Once you identify the issues then take appropriate measures and remove the service recovery options to enjoy normal  service operation.

Santosh Singh

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

Actually my issue is MSSQLSERVER Services terminated unexpectedly. it has done 3 time(s). but services terminating unexpectedly and reatarting . services came back online.

i had checked all the errorlogs but there is no information. i have only the information from event log . Event id=7034. 

Sqlserver 2008R2 RTM 10.50.1617.0 (X64)

Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)
    System Manufacturer: 'VMware, Inc.', System Model: 'VMware Virtual Platform'.

Description:

Event Logs : System

Event Type : Error

Event Id : 7034
    Event Message : The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s).

if u want i will provide the errorlog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Sqlserver 2008R2 RTM 10.50.1617.0 (X64)

You have an RTM version of SQL Server 2008 R2 I am sure this was fixed in SP1 which mitigated unexpected restart but please Apply SQL server 2008 r2 Sp2 ASAP to mitigate this issue and others as well.

SP are cumulative and SP2 will consist all fixed for SP1.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:32 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

Any other solution. actually i got this same from two servers. but that server is is also sqlserver2008R2(servicepack2) . give me any other solution for this.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:53 AM
  • Can you post the error logs please? Also in the event log just before these messages do you see any other messages?

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:57 AM
  • The error you posted is from the Windows event log.  Please look at the SQL Server log for the actual error and post the relevant error, including the version.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Try recent CU and check.

Also please share the sql error log details when you had this issues.

Did you check if you have any maintenance job\third party backup job\Anti-virus was executing during the said time?

Santosh Singh

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:04 PM
  • Hi Sreenivas,

All the errorlog posted bu you clearly points out to fact that your SQL Server 2008 r2 is running on RTM version. Please can you apply SP2 and see if the issue subsides. Moreover this is errorlog after SQL server restarted can you run below on both Servers

sp_readerrorlog 1
    And please post result on skydrive or some shared storage . You can easily do that please google it how to do that. I have a feeling this can be subsided by SP2

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Thanks for all the information!!

Error"SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c, state 14 while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. Reason: AcceptSecurityContext failed. The Windows error code indicates the cause of failure.  [CLIENT: 10.215.192.149]. " seems to be appearing lot in log.

Check with client 10.215.192.149, if any issues.

Please also check event system log if any issues you notice during issues time.

Also confirm if any other process were executing like Anti-Virus\Third party backup\etc.

Hopefully you have proper scan exclusion\inclusion folders defined in your environment if not then you need to check and change the window.

Also good to go for SP2 too.

Santosh Singh

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Hi Srinivas,

Can you post the Application Event log for the time frame on 12th  9:58:00.00 and  10:01:16.35 .

Also do you have the cluster log during the same time frame? If you don't have generate a cluster log and see if it still have any information regarding the time frame.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:28 PM
  • LogName:Application

Date and Time:12/06/2014 10:00:54 AM

Error:package”package” failed

Event ID:12291

Source:SQLISPackage100

LogName:Application

Logged:12/06/2014 10:01:11AM

Error:Package failed

Event id:12291

LogName:Application

Logged:12/06/2014  10:01:12AM

Error:The MSSQLSERVER Services terminated unexpectedly.

Source:MSSQLSERVER

Event id=19019

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:46 AM
  • Please share your SQL Server Configuration Manager setup information.

Is anyone are disabled like : Shared Memory, Network Name, TCPIP, VIA etc.

Some link may give you some idea, but may not be entire solution, just check it.

Also are you using default\other port for SQL Server?

Santosh Singh

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:42 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

Shared Memory and TCP/IP was enabled.

and default port number

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Hi Santosh SA account is disabled , is there any problem with that
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:32 AM
  • What would be Status of Named Pipes?

If that is disabled then please enable that now and check.

Also default port shouldn't give you issue, also how many instances are there on this box, if more than one then please keep separate port for them and this require reboot for you.

Santosh Singh

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Hi Santosh SA account is disabled , is there any problem with that

Sreenivas can you apply SQL 2008 R2 SP2 and see.  There is nothing in your logs posted which can point exactly why shutdown happened. all other messages are related to exteranal packages and login failures which IMO cannot cause shutdown. I thought I would see some Scheduler exception but that too not present.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

Thanks for your information. i was facing this issue from two servers .

1.SQLServer2008R2 RTM(SP1) 10.50.1617.0 (X64)

2.SQLServer2008R2(SP2) 10.50.4000.0 (X64)

we have sp2 in one server but it is also facing same issue. Any suggestion about this .

and SA account is disable , is there any problm with that.
    Friday, June 20, 2014 1:46 AM
  • Hi Santosh SA account is disabled . is there any problem with that.  only one instance is there and named pipes are disabled.
    Friday, June 20, 2014 1:49 AM
  • No problem with SA a/ as of now. Please enable named pipes and restart sql server services alone.

Also, any reason for disabling SA a/c, hopefully due to security reason.

Santosh Singh

Friday, June 20, 2014 4:03 AM
  • Hi Santhosh,

Thanks for your help. i enabled the named pipes and  restarted the services .  i need to monitor some days . incase problem will came again we will discuss about this issue again.

Friday, June 20, 2014 4:43 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

Thanks for your information. i was facing this issue from two servers .

1.SQLServer2008R2 RTM(SP1) 10.50.1617.0 (X64)

2.SQLServer2008R2(SP2) 10.50.4000.0 (X64)

we have sp2 in one server but it is also facing same issue. Any suggestion about this .and SA account is disable , is there any problm with that.

Ok fine thread is loosing its Direction. Can you mail me( mail Id is in my profile) complete errorlog put it into text file or please put it on Skydrive as already requested. Logs you posted pointed to RTM not SP2  so please run below

sp_readerrorlog 1 on both servers, get the rrorlog and post mail it to me. SA has NO role is unexpected restart of server. 

Please look in errorlog where something relevant to start of SQL server is mentioned

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Friday, June 20, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

can u please share your email id.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Please check your service for event log is in healthy state and running state.

As below error indicates that:

"The current event was not reported to the Windows Events log. Operating system error = (null). You may need to clear the Windows Events log if it is full"

Also you can check any event log related to sql server restarts and event log service

"eventlog" has got effected.

Also try to cap size on event log files.

If yes then shared those related event log details.

Santosh Singh

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi Santhosh

How to check my service for eventlog is in healthy state. and what is the meaning of below error.

2014-06-22 21:25:44.510    Server    SQL Server is terminating because of a system shutdown. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
    2014-06-22 21:25:46.400    spid12s    Service Broker manager has shut down.
    2014-06-22 21:25:46.400    spid12s    Error: 17054, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:34 AM
  • Eventlog is in healthy state means you don't see any error log either in system or application for any warning\error\others to indicate that this application is suffering from issues.

Now this is very important to check as this can cause your sql server to restart or not stable.

Santosh Singh

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:33 AM
  • Hi Santhosh,

I think because of this problem  in one of my production server MSSQLSERVER Services are terminated unexpectedly and then restarted.  am i correct?

But in eventviewer i can see application as well as system logs.

can u please explain a bit more about this.

Regards,

Sreenivasulu

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi Sreenivas,

First thing is, I don't have enough information about the environment setup you have, to close on.

So I need to ask you details to suggest anything.

Eventlog are required to be in healthy state and that is reason I had asked to check in system or application log for validation. At times if events are not getting written to eventlog then it may effect the sql server stability but we need to check on OS part too.

Suggestion for event log was based on below log to fine tune that.

"

2014-06-22 21:25:46.400    spid12s    The current event was not reported to the Windows Events log. Operating system error = (null). You may need to clear the Windows Events log if it is full. 

"

Also, you need to check SPN based issues

"

2014-06-22 18:39:11.910    Server    The SQL Server Network Interface library could not register the Service Principal Name (SPN) for the SQL Server service. Error: 0x2098, state: 15. Failure to register an SPN may cause integrated authentication to fall back to NTLM instead of Kerberos. This is an informational message. Further action is only required if Kerberos authentication is required by authentication policies.

"

If this is prod server then you must check with MS asap with new case, since lot of logs like event log, sql server log others are required to scan and validate.

"But in eventviewer i can see application as well as system logs."

I wanted to say that checked for errors for eventlog service in application and system log to get some trace.

Santosh Singh

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:17 AM
  • This message:

2014-06-22 21:25:44.510    Server    SQL Server is terminating because of a system shutdown. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

Indicates SQL Server is a VICTIM of the Windows server shutting down.  This is not a problem with SQL Server, it is a Windows situation which is shutting down the server.  It could be a blue screen, a user, or even an automatic update or something.  You will need to look at the Windows event logs and see why it is being shutdown.

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:54 PM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Usually this service[window Automatic update] is stopped or disabled on prod server to avoid unexpected result.

I guess you were saying that it happens all the time, so please check if you can disable it and do on-demand update only on some down time availability.

This can be a big problem with your environment setup. See this things I was referring as such things will come from all related logs only or you have shared.

If you have SCCM\SCO Team to do such activity then you need ask them to recheck this requirement.

Santosh Singh

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:15 AM
  • Contact your windows team or team which manages these OS they will help you better

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:26 AM