none
Difference between standard sql server and sql server developer edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have been using sql server on my development machine form last few years, now as per new policy i will be allocated with developer edition of sql server.

Here i want to confirm that what type of change i will experience in my day to day development work

please forward your inputs over this

Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Developer edition has all features of enterprise edition.

Detailed comparison:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:08 AM
  • In addition to the above note, Developer Edition cannot be used for production.

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Developer edition is designed to allow developers to build any type of application on top of SQL Server. It includes all the functionality of Enterprise Edition but with a special development and test end-user license agreement (EULA) that prohibits production deployment. It is the ideal choice for Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), consultants, system integrators, solution providers, and corporate developers developing and testing applications because it is cost effective, runs on a variety of platforms, and can be upgraded for production use to SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.

It is the only edition of SQL Server 2000 that gives the licensee the right to download and install SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition (SQL Server CE). The Developer Edition licensee also has the right to redistribute SQL Server CE-based applications to an unlimited number of devices at no additional cost beyond the purchase price of SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Developer Ed. is actually the Ed. meant for developers/development work. As far as the difference is concerned, you can follow the link provided in the other post. However, you need not worry about anything as features of the STANDARD Ed. are subset of Developer Ed. and everything that works in Std. Ed. works on Developer Ed.

-Vinay Pugalia
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post or "Vote as Helpful".
    Web : Inkey Solutions
    Blog : My Blog
    Email : Vinay Pugalia

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:48 AM
  • You will need to be a little careful. As others have pointed out Developer Edition is a more able edition than Standard Edition except in one regard: it's not licensed for production use.

That is, if you go ahead and find a cool feature and use this in your development and everything works fine when you test locally, you may get a nasty surprise when you pass it on to QA and test environments, because you have used a feature which requires Enterprise Edition.

So each time you starting using something which you have not used before, you should make the effort to determine whether this is a Enterprise-only feature or not. (Either by looking it up, or by means of testing.)

Some Enterprise-features are a little devious in that they only affect performance. That is, things will still work in Standard, but the performance may be not the same as you saw on your developer machine.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:15 AM