none
SSIS Development SQL 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched and read that SQL Data Tools is gone in SQL 2014. It seems as though it's been replaced, and is currently pulled, by a plugin for VS2013.

My question is this; is SQL Server 2014 not a complete product any longer?  I don't have VS 2013, so what am I supposed to do?  I need to develop/modify my SSIS packages and we're about to migrate to SQL 2014.  I can't believe all the tools I need no longer come with the install of SQL 2014 - this is extremely disappointing.

Thanks in advance

André

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Andremg,

To do SQL Server Business Intelligence development, you don’t need to install Visual Studio. The specif version of BIDS/SSDT just uses specific Visual Studio shell, and can be integrated into the corresponding Visual Studio. The BIDS/SSDT is a different product and works independent of Visual Studio.

Since the relase of SQL Server 2014, the SQL Server Data Tools used for Business Intelligence development is not shipped with SQL Server installation. To get the SSDT-BI Tools, we need to download it from the Micrsoft Download Center manually.

Currently, there are two versions of SSDT-BI Tools avaiable for SQL Server 2014 BI development:

Actually, the SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence (SSDT-BI) for Visual Studio 2013 is the native SSDT for SQL Server 2014 RTM. However, it is not available in the Download Center due to some compatiblity issues currently. So, we can temporarily use the SQL Server 2014 CTP2 Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 for SQL Server 2014 BI development. Once the SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013 is back, we can install it and use it instead.

Besides, please understand that BI projects created in SQL Server 2014 CTP2 SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2012 can be opened and eidted in SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013 without any problems. So, we don't need to worry about the continuity of the BI development. In addition, as Kieran said, SSDT-BI Tools is a client tool and seldom installed on a production server.

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Andre,

Please find the following link; -

SQL Server Data Tools for SQL Server 2014 is available

and

SQL Server Data Tools – Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013 (SSDT BI)

so in the interim it's probably best to use; -

Microsoft® SQL Server ®2014 Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Microsoft Visual Studio® 2012, Community Technology Preview 2 (CTP2)

Kind Regards,

Kieran.

Kieran Patrick Wood http://www.innovativebusinessintelligence.com http://uk.linkedin.com/in/kieranpatrickwood http://kieranwood.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:05 PM
  • QUOTE: "SSDT BI is a distinct toolset from SSDT or the SQL Server database tooling in Visual Studio and an update for this product will be released at a later date."

I tested it briefly.   SSDT BI 2012 does connect to SQL Server 2014 database.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Design & Programming
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Kieran,

Let me make sure I understand completely.  Do I need to own a copy of VS with any of the tools you supplied links to?  If the answer is yes, what are my options if I don't own a copy of VS?  Also if the answer is yes I go back to my original question; why is SQL 2014 not a complete product any longer?

If the answer to the above question is that I don't need to own a copy of VS, and the last link that you gave is the best one to use, do we have any idea when it will go from CTP2 to RC?  It's only compatible with SQL 2014 CTP2, not RC.  We're going to Prod in 2 weeks with the final build, not RC, of course.  So we need a tool that will work in Prod - very soon.

Thanks

André

Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Hi Andre,

I have no commercial experience of SQL Server 2014 RTM. However I did not find any compatability issues when evaluating SSRS within SSDT against two separate versions of SQL Server 2014 CTP1 and CTP2. Please check out my website www.innovativebusinessintelligence.com, this evaluation formed part of the research of my MSc dissertation.

I also confirm that I did not have any full version of Visual Studio installed on my evaluation laptop. So I refer back again to Kalman's response, also have you tried the links I supplied?

I am happy for Microsoft to chip in here however after being exposured to the MS BI stack for a decade now my understanding is as follows; -

Since SSDT is effectively a cut down version of Visual Studio, as was it's predecessor BIDs. So from a release management perspective it make's sense to have the version control of SSDT and SQL Server separate.

SSDT is generally considered to be a development tool, hence some production DBAs insist that this tool is not installed on a production environment.

I do sincerely hope you will have a managable timely solution with your production system.

Kind Regards,

Kieran.

Kieran Patrick Wood http://www.innovativebusinessintelligence.com http://uk.linkedin.com/in/kieranpatrickwood http://kieranwood.wordpress.com/

Friday, May 9, 2014 8:17 AM
  • Hi Andremg,

To do SQL Server Business Intelligence development, you don’t need to install Visual Studio. The specif version of BIDS/SSDT just uses specific Visual Studio shell, and can be integrated into the corresponding Visual Studio. The BIDS/SSDT is a different product and works independent of Visual Studio.

Since the relase of SQL Server 2014, the SQL Server Data Tools used for Business Intelligence development is not shipped with SQL Server installation. To get the SSDT-BI Tools, we need to download it from the Micrsoft Download Center manually.

Currently, there are two versions of SSDT-BI Tools avaiable for SQL Server 2014 BI development:

Actually, the SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence (SSDT-BI) for Visual Studio 2013 is the native SSDT for SQL Server 2014 RTM. However, it is not available in the Download Center due to some compatiblity issues currently. So, we can temporarily use the SQL Server 2014 CTP2 Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 for SQL Server 2014 BI development. Once the SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013 is back, we can install it and use it instead.

Besides, please understand that BI projects created in SQL Server 2014 CTP2 SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2012 can be opened and eidted in SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013 without any problems. So, we don't need to worry about the continuity of the BI development. In addition, as Kieran said, SSDT-BI Tools is a client tool and seldom installed on a production server.

Regards,

Mike Yin

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:07 AM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  First of all I think it's a bad decision by MS to make us go somewhere else to find the tool to do BI development, which has been included with the SQL installation for several versions.  Whomever made this decision made a bad decision.  Why make our jobs more difficult by making us search the web to find the software we need?

You say that I don't need VS to do SSIS development, but the name of the product you're pointing me to is a bit confusing.  Both specifically say "..for Visual Studio..."- is that perhaps a bad name?  It implies that I do need Visual Studio, and I'm confused by the name in the link and then by your comment that says I don't need VS.

Thanks for helping to clear this up.

Andre

André

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Hi André,

Sorry for the layout exception and missing content of the first post. I have modified it and added the missing content.

The BIDS/SSDT is a Standalone tools that can work without Visual Studio. I agree that the name of this tools may cause a little confusion as you said when we come into use it. However, the name also provides us with useful information such as which version of SQL Server the tools is designed for or compatible with, and which version of Visual Studio it can be integrated into.

If you have concerns about the product change that the SSDT is not shipped with SQL Server 2014 media, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at https://connect.microsoft.com/sql.

Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Regards,

Mike Yin

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:26 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I have to agree with the sentiments expressed by Andre. The SSIS installation process in 2014 is more complicated and confusing. I don't think anyone have tried doing installation on a clean machine, to see what people have to go thru. It is not just a matter of finding the downloads. After you download the main parts and try to install them, you will be asked to install other required service packs and fixes before hand. Then certain pieces will complain they do not support the specific OS you are trying to install. I consider myself expert and I have to to tell you it was a challenge even for me. I could only imagine how other poor souls feel.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand what is the predicament of the SQL Server team that you have too many moving parts in the chain. The main reason you have decided to separate the design piece of SSIS was because your process was too dependent on the release cycles from the Visual Studio team. I understand that. But by you simplifying your product release chain, you have now moved the burden on the SQL Server users to deal with the installation issues. This was not a good decision in my opinion.

SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:31 PM