none
how many allowed instance for SQL server 2012 standard edition? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all

I need to install another instance on my server and i need to know the number of allowed instance to be used under my license for SQL server 2012 Standard edition.

I am licensed for 8 cores but I don't know the number of instances I can install!

thanks and best regards

Sunday, August 23, 2015 9:56 AM

Answers

• Dear all

I need to install another instance on my server and i need to know the number of allowed instance to be used under my license for SQL server 2012 Standard edition.

I am licensed for 8 cores but I don't know the number of instances I can install!

thanks and best regards

Hi,

License limit is not for instance that can be installed on one server. You have limitation which is documented here  and that is 32767.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Sunday, August 23, 2015 2:57 PM
  • AFAIK, if you are on a VM, you need one license per instance. If you are physical, you can have x (50 supported and tested) on the same license. But don't take my work for it, Rad the license paper that has already been posted here.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:43 PM

All replies

• To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of instances on a single server. 
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Dear all

thanks and best regards

Hi,

License limit is not for instance that can be installed on one server. You have limitation which is documented here  and that is 32767.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Sunday, August 23, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

John is correct and there should be no limit to number of Instance.

Read

Consequently, an obvious way around this problem is to use multiple, named, instances on the same server. In doing so you’ll need to potentially constrain access to processors (i.e., set affinity – typically to distinct NUMA nodes for best results) and watch out for situations where you might run into IO contention, but, otherwise, the use of multiple instances CAN be one way to get the most ‘bang for your buck’ out of SQL Server Standard Edition licenses – provided you’re willing to ‘babysit’ and tune your workloads as necessary.

and further check

http://sqlmag.com/blog/sql-server-standard-edition-licensing-limits

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:12 PM
  • You do not need to buy a new license for adding new instances to an already licensed Server but there is a restriction on the number of instances that can be created which is as below:

50 instances on a stand-alone server.

25 instances on a failover cluster when using a shared cluster disk as the stored option for you cluster installation SQL Server supports 50 instances on a failover cluster if you choose SMB file shares as the storage option for your cluster installation.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

• Edited by Vikram V Gupta Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:40 PM Added more info
    • Proposed as answer by Vikram V Gupta Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:41 PM
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:38 PM
  • AFAIK, if you are on a VM, you need one license per instance. If you are physical, you can have x (50 supported and tested) on the same license. But don't take my work for it, Rad the license paper that has already been posted here.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:43 PM