DB Mirroring in SQL 2005 / 2008 across different Network Domains ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have two servers : Server A in domain 'eur.com'  , Server B in 'nam.com' domain.

Kindly let me know whther we can configure DB Mirroring between server A ( Principal ) & B ( Mirrored ) across different domins ? If yes , then how can we do that and what are the prerequisites for it ?

Thanks.

Friday, May 14, 2010 10:32 AM

Answers

• You should be able to use FQDN between domains and it will work if the Principal and Mirror can successfully communicate with each other. If the domains are on the inside of separate firewalls you will have to configure the firewalls to allow the mirroring port traffic (5022 by default) to pass thru the firewall. Good luck .... 

PS You can also use hard coded public IP address to do it also.

Monday, May 17, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

Besides building trusted domains, you also could use certificates for database mirroring. Here is an example of setting up database mirroring using certificates:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191140.aspx

If there are any more problems, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:24 AM

All replies

• You should be able to use FQDN between domains and it will work if the Principal and Mirror can successfully communicate with each other. If the domains are on the inside of separate firewalls you will have to configure the firewalls to allow the mirroring port traffic (5022 by default) to pass thru the firewall. Good luck .... 

PS You can also use hard coded public IP address to do it also.

Monday, May 17, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

Besides building trusted domains, you also could use certificates for database mirroring. Here is an example of setting up database mirroring using certificates:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191140.aspx

If there are any more problems, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:24 AM