SSRS error: Failure sending mail: The report server has encountered a configuration error. Mail will not be resent. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently using SQL Server Reporting Services 2012. I have a few subscriptions emails that i have created. A few days ago, i discovered these weren't working and were giving me the status: Failure sending mail. The report server has encountered a configuration error. Mail will not be sent.

Our administrator has not touched anything and suddenly email (subscriptions) reports have stopped working. 

To configure the subscriptions initially I followed these instructions:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159155.aspx#bkmk_use_configuration_manager

I have checked the log details and cannot see anything glaringly obvious. Has anyone encountered this error and how did you resolve it.

Thanks

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Ziako, 

First, I suggest you to confirm whether the Report Server Service Account is a domain account. Secondly, please check that whether there is error message like “The report server has encountered a configuration error. AuthzInitializeContextFromSid: Win32 error: 1355” in the log file. If so, please see the following analysis. 

While delivering subscriptions by email, the Reporting Services program need call the AuthzInitializeContextFromSid API function that is defined in the Authz.dll file. If you create and process the e-mail subscription by using a domain user account that is different from the service logon account of the Reporting Services Windows service, theAuthzInitializeContextFromSid API function call may fail. In this case, we should configure the Reporting Services Windows service to run under a domain user account. However, if the issue persists, it may occur if the Reporting Services Service Account cannot read the TGGAU attribute on the subscription owners.

To resolve this issue, we need to grant read permissions to a specific user account or group that can create a Reporting Services subscription. For the detailed steps, please see the Method 3 in the following KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842423/en-us 

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Heidi-Duan Monday, October 21, 2013 12:50 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• Any ideas...anyone?

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:17 AM
  • Hi

Which E-Mail account are you using for for sending the mail?

Did you change anything in the AD configuration? E-Mail account should have  "Send As permission"

Regards
    Nishar

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Hi Ziako, 

First, I suggest you to confirm whether the Report Server Service Account is a domain account. Secondly, please check that whether there is error message like “The report server has encountered a configuration error. AuthzInitializeContextFromSid: Win32 error: 1355” in the log file. If so, please see the following analysis. 

While delivering subscriptions by email, the Reporting Services program need call the AuthzInitializeContextFromSid API function that is defined in the Authz.dll file. If you create and process the e-mail subscription by using a domain user account that is different from the service logon account of the Reporting Services Windows service, theAuthzInitializeContextFromSid API function call may fail. In this case, we should configure the Reporting Services Windows service to run under a domain user account. However, if the issue persists, it may occur if the Reporting Services Service Account cannot read the TGGAU attribute on the subscription owners.

To resolve this issue, we need to grant read permissions to a specific user account or group that can create a Reporting Services subscription. For the detailed steps, please see the Method 3 in the following KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842423/en-us 

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Heidi-Duan Monday, October 21, 2013 12:50 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 2:38 PM