none
SQL Server Express 2014 on Win8.1: Could not find the Database Engine startup handle RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I tried to follow all the similarly titled posts in this forum, yet no solution seems to work, so I hope I can find some up-to-date suggestion here (most of the older posts refer to versions from 2008 to 2012...).

I have installed Visual Studio 2013 (with the latest Update 2 RC) on a freshly installed development workstation with Win 8.1 with all its updates. Now I'd want to install SQL Server 2014 Express, but the setup keeps failing with the dreaded "Could not find the Database Engine startup handle" error (the log follows below).

What I tried:

1) download again and repair. Same error.

2) completely uninstall by launching setup.exe /Action=uninstall (success), then rebooting the OS, then installing again. Same error. I did this twice, the second time I also manually removed any directory left out in C:\Program Files etc.

When I launch the setup, I select all the components for installation in the package SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe (1.12 GB, last downloaded today -Apr 3, 2014-), and accept all the defaults including the proposed services accounts. There is no preexisting SQL Server instance, as expected.

The setup takes its time, and finally fails with the error quoted above. I really do not want to reformat my HD and fully reconfigure my workstation, which took about 3 days... Could anyone suggest a solution to have SQL Server 2014 setup so I can start developing instead of wasting time in administering the system?

Thanks to all! The log follows.

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2061893607
      Start time:                    2014-04-03 18:30:58
      End time:                      2014-04-03 19:04:41
      Requested action:              Install

Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
      Next step for RS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for SQLEngine:       Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for FullText:        Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for Replication:     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  DIOMEDES
      Machine processor count:       4
      OS version:                    Windows 8
      OS service pack:               
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered  Configured

Package properties:
      Description:                   Microsoft SQL Server 2014 
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2014
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       12
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         C:\Users\Daniele\Downloads\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          Express

Product Update Status:
      None discovered.

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Install
      ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN:      true
      AGTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
      AGTSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Disabled
      ASBACKUPDIR:                   Backup
      ASCOLLATION:                   Latin1_General_CI_AS
      ASCONFIGDIR:                   Config
      ASDATADIR:                     Data
      ASLOGDIR:                      Log
      ASPROVIDERMSOLAP:              1
      ASSERVERMODE:                  MULTIDIMENSIONAL
      ASSVCACCOUNT:                  <empty>
      ASSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS:            <empty>
      ASTEMPDIR:                     Temp
      BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE:         Disabled
      CLTCTLRNAME:                   <empty>
      CLTRESULTDIR:                  <empty>
      CLTSTARTUPTYPE:                0
      CLTSVCACCOUNT:                 <empty>
      CLTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      CLTWORKINGDIR:                 <empty>
      COMMFABRICENCRYPTION:          0
      COMMFABRICNETWORKLEVEL:        0
      COMMFABRICPORT:                0
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             
      CTLRSTARTUPTYPE:               0
      CTLRSVCACCOUNT:                <empty>
      CTLRSVCPASSWORD:               <empty>
      CTLRUSERS:                     <empty>
      ENABLERANU:                    true
      ENU:                           true
      ERRORREPORTING:                false
      FEATURES:                      SQLENGINE, REPLICATION, FULLTEXT, RS, CONN, BC, SDK, BOL, SSMS, ADV_SSMS, LOCALDB
      FILESTREAMLEVEL:               0
      FILESTREAMSHARENAME:           <empty>
      FTSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher$SQLEXPRESS
      FTSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      HELP:                          false
      IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS:  true
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              false
      INSTALLSHAREDDIR:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR:           C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSQLDATADIR:             <empty>
      INSTANCEDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTANCEID:                    SQLEXPRESS
      INSTANCENAME:                  SQLEXPRESS
      ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\Network Service
      ISSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      MATRIXCMBRICKCOMMPORT:         0
      MATRIXCMSERVERNAME:            <empty>
      MATRIXNAME:                    <empty>
      NPENABLED:                     0
      PID:                           *****
      QUIET:                         false
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   false
      ROLE:                          AllFeatures_WithDefaults
      RSINSTALLMODE:                 DefaultNativeMode
      RSSHPINSTALLMODE:              DefaultSharePointMode
      RSSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\ReportServer$SQLEXPRESS
      RSSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      SAPWD:                         <empty>
      SECURITYMODE:                  <empty>
      SQLBACKUPDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLCOLLATION:                  Latin1_General_CI_AS
      SQLSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
      SQLSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Automatic
      SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS:           DIOMEDES\Daniele
      SQLTEMPDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQLUSERDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLUSERDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQMREPORTING:                  false
      TCPENABLED:                    0
      UIMODE:                        AutoAdvance
      UpdateEnabled:                 true
      UpdateSource:                  MU
      USEMICROSOFTUPDATE:            false
      X86:                           false

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20140403_183057\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Management Tools - Complete

Feature:                       Client Tools Connectivity

Feature:                       Client Tools SDK

Feature:                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Feature:                       Management Tools - Basic

Feature:                       Reporting Services - Native
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          0x851A0019
      Error description:             Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=12.0.2000.8&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4025&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4025

Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Error description:             Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=12.0.2000.8&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4025&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4025

Feature:                       Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.

Feature:                       SQL Server Replication

Feature:                       SQL Browser

Feature:                       Documentation Components

Feature:                       SQL Writer

Feature:                       LocalDB

Feature:                       Setup Support Files

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20140403_183057\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:05 PM

Answers

• Below worked for me in SQL Server 2012 I have still not faced this issue with 2014.

1. Please uninstall completely failed installation using add remove program.

2. Make sure you remove all file sand folders related to SQL Server on your machine

3. Righr clicK on setup.exe and select run as administrator

3. During installation while selecting  account/or account selection page  instead of using default what MS suggets please change account to Local system and try.

4. This message suggests that After installing SQL server components SQL was not able to bring SQL Services online .Its basically Account issue IMO.

5. After installation change account to domain account with which you want to run sql server service.Its good practice to run sql server with least privileged domain account

Below is complete Wiki Article on Same issue

Could not find Database engine startup handle

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:40 PM

All replies

• Below worked for me in SQL Server 2012 I have still not faced this issue with 2014.

1. Please uninstall completely failed installation using add remove program.

2. Make sure you remove all file sand folders related to SQL Server on your machine

3. Righr clicK on setup.exe and select run as administrator

3. During installation while selecting  account/or account selection page  instead of using default what MS suggets please change account to Local system and try.

4. This message suggests that After installing SQL server components SQL was not able to bring SQL Services online .Its basically Account issue IMO.

5. After installation change account to domain account with which you want to run sql server service.Its good practice to run sql server with least privileged domain account

Below is complete Wiki Article on Same issue

Could not find Database engine startup handle

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Thank you, it worked! I suppose that it was really your nr.3 which made the difference. I changed NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS to NT AUTHORITY\System for the Data service. I'll then change it again as suggested (any suggestion about a "standard" account to be used here?), even if this is a development workstation using SQL Server Express only as a local database for debugging, so security is not really a big concern.
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Thank you, it worked! I suppose that it was really your nr.3 which made the difference. I changed NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS to NT AUTHORITY\System for the Data service. I'll then change it again as suggested (any suggestion about a "standard" account to be used here?), even if this is a development workstation using SQL Server Express only as a local database for debugging, so security is not really a big concern.

Thanks for the feedback.Ya I know No3 was real step but just added more info so as to rule out any other possibility.

No not as such, you wont believe,quite few pf my clients I have worked for keep it with local system and they have not complained yet ,they are afraid to change account as few of them faced issue SQL Server not coming online due to logon failure( after changing startup account to some domain a and that was happening due to some AD policy.But if you have nay plans to move Critical database in production which would be act as Database to some Internet facing application please follow my suggestion of running SQL Server with Least privileged domain account.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:07 PM
  • This worked for me when installing SQL 2014 on Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2.

I tried multiple other methods and this was the one that finally worked.

Thank you for the posting!

"There's a way to do it better - find it." - Thomas Edison

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:57 PM
  • Great article!

I've spend more or less two days to re-install SQL Server on my LT with Win 8.1. I've tried suggestions of several post and uninstalled and re-installed SQL Server several times and finally found this post. Most probalby step 3 made the difference in my case.

Shanky_621, you made my day!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Thank you this worked perfectly for me and setting up SQL Server 2014 on Windows 8.1
    Friday, April 25, 2014 11:57 AM
  • I have worked on this mess for 3 days now and finally read your post and it worked!! Bless you! Could you share with us why this works? I was getting another error until I completely eliminated the sharing options and then I got this handle not found error. Thank you anyway friend!
    Friday, June 27, 2014 10:34 PM
  • I have tried the above solution but it does not work!

I have a brand new Toshiba Portege laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro with windows updates, all freshly installed.

I  tried to install SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition this way.
    - UAC was set to lowest level
    - McAffe was unistalled (the software came bundled with computer)
    - Extract the SQL Server iso to disk
    - Start setup.exe by "Run administrator"
    - Change account of SQL Server DB engine to LocalSystem during installation

But still the "Could not find the Database Engine startup handle" message is shown at the end of installation.

Am I the only one still having this problem?

Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:40 AM
  • This helped me solve this problem. Very easy solution.

http://www.roelvanlisdonk.nl/?p=3723&cpage=1#comment-222628

• Proposed as answer by FarazAnwar Monday, December 8, 2014 6:34 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 6:33 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the same issue and the other solutions did not help me.  I read somewhere that someone suggested enabling the TLS 1.0 and 1.1 protocols.  I on the hand just used the local\SYSTEM account to run the service and that worked for my testing.  Not a good long term production solution but it at least got me up and running.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:47 PM
  • I was doing a inplace upgrade from 2008 R2 and got the same error message - in my case having TraceFlags in the startup parameters in 2008 cause this same issue.  It is because of the difference in how SQL 2014/2016 handles traceflags..  Remove them from the startup parameters before you start ;)
    Friday, September 30, 2016 2:46 PM
  • I had the same problem.  The recommendation to install SQL Server to use the Local System account instead of a virtual account worked.  After installation, I wanted to get the virtual account (NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER) working and I was getting "WMI Provider Error Cannot find object or property."  I've fixed that and I suspect that if I'd done this before installing SQL Server I wouldn't have had any problems.

The root cause appears to be that, on a machine created from an image, some permissions nested within C:\Users\Default are still configured for the original image source machine instead of the current machine.

Here's the fix:

1. In Windows Explorer, right click on C:\Users\Default and select "Properties".
    2. Go to the "Security" tab.
    3. Click "Advanced".
    4. Click "Change Permissions..."
    5. If the "User Account Control" dialog pops up, press "Yes" to proceed.
    6. Check "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
    7. Press "OK"
    8. In the Windows Security dialog, press "Yes".

Source: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/7fb93109-218c-43d7-b29a-ceaffc598b58/user-profile-service-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded?forum=w7itprogeneral

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:10 PM