none
SSRS 2008 R2 - HTTP Error 503. The services is unavailable. after server rename RRS feed

• Question

• We built our prod server [vm] with SQL Server 2008 R2 on Server 2008 R2.  It works nicely.  Then we made a copy of the VM and renamed it (so our test environment would be IDENTICAL to production).  After that, SSRS was broken: I get "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable."  I can't connect via http, or SSMS.

We have tried:
    * Running SSRS config tool (several times)
    * Running with/without the IIS Server Role
    * Dropping & recreating the SSRS keys
    * Recreating the ReportServer database, etc
    * Checking all of the accounts, permissions, etc
    * Running SQL Repair
    * Going through the registry to fix any references to the machine's old name
    * Uninstalling, reinstalling SSRS
    * Completely uninstalling ALL of the parts of SQL Server 2008 R2, deleting all directories, removing references to SQL Server from the registry, rebooting, reinstalling everything.

None of this has worked.  SSRS [R2] is still 503 on our test box.
    Oddly, the SSRS [NT] service seems to run, without error.  The Event Viewer doesn't seem to be recording any errors.  The SSRS logs say that the default URL is wrong, but we get the same error in Prod, and Prod works fine.  The other SQL Logs say something about not being able to contact the service.  However, as I said, the [NT] service seems to be working fine.

Other than wiping the OS and starting over, does anybody have any ideas?

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

From your description, I understand that you have deployed a virtual machine(VM) with Windows Server 2008 R2, and deployed SQL Server 2008 R2 on this server. And then made a copy ot this virtual machine to the prodcution envioronment and rename it. You didn't generate a new Security ID(SID) for this server. If I have misunderstood, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Any machine has its own SID. If there are more than one machine in the same domain have the same SID, application in the machines will fail.

In this case, I would suggest you trying the following steps to check if the issue is solved:
         1. Made a new copy the VM
         2. Re-name the machine
         3. Run Sysprep to generate a new SID.
         4. Now, check if the Reporting Services works. If not, please change its service account to be a local administraion, and then check again.

If you don't want to make a new copy, please re-name your current VM, and generate a new SID for it. After that, check if the Reporting Services works.

For more information about generating new SID, please see:
    http://www.brajkovic.info/windows-server-2008/windows-server-2008-r2/how-to-change-sid-on-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-using-sysprep/

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Monday, July 26, 2010 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

From your description, I understand that you have deployed a virtual machine(VM) with Windows Server 2008 R2, and deployed SQL Server 2008 R2 on this server. And then made a copy ot this virtual machine to the prodcution envioronment and rename it. You didn't generate a new Security ID(SID) for this server. If I have misunderstood, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Any machine has its own SID. If there are more than one machine in the same domain have the same SID, application in the machines will fail.

In this case, I would suggest you trying the following steps to check if the issue is solved:
         1. Made a new copy the VM
         2. Re-name the machine
         3. Run Sysprep to generate a new SID.
         4. Now, check if the Reporting Services works. If not, please change its service account to be a local administraion, and then check again.

If you don't want to make a new copy, please re-name your current VM, and generate a new SID for it. After that, check if the Reporting Services works.

For more information about generating new SID, please see:
    http://www.brajkovic.info/windows-server-2008/windows-server-2008-r2/how-to-change-sid-on-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-using-sysprep/

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Monday, July 26, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Hi, I'm sure you've checked, but I just had the exact same error, so thought I'd post here for others.

Check the rsreportserver.config file

I had deleted the :443 in my file under the url bindings by accident and got this 503 service is unavailable error. Mini heart attack later, realised what I did, put it back and it worked straight away.

<Application>

<Name>ReportManager</Name>

<VirtualDirectory>Reports</VirtualDirectory>

<URLs>

<URL>

<UrlString>http://+:80</UrlString>

<AccountSid>S-1-5-20</AccountSid>

<AccountName>NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE</AccountName>

</URL>

<URL>

<UrlString>https://xxx.xxx.net:443</UrlString>

</URL>

<URL>

<UrlString>http://xxx.xxx.com:80</UrlString>

</URL>

</URLs>

</Application>

</URLReservations>

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:34 PM
  •  

The way I got my issue resolved is :

1. Change SSRS service to run under Local System Account

2. Test the service if SSRS starts.

3. Drop and Recreate SSRS service account from/in Windows Active Directory

4. Remove SPN and Re-ADD the service account for SSRS service account.

5. Remove the account from SQL Server and Re-add back with the required privileges. Not doing so will cause authentication failure.

6. Under SQL Server Configuration Manager, change the service account back to the old one.

8. Test if the solution works. You might have to delete the encryption keys as well.

Warm Regards, Ajay

• Proposed as answer by ajaymalloc Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:31 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Please restart the web services related to SSMS and SSDT, minor issues will be fixed.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 5:49 AM