none
Saving to SharePoint

Question

• When we save an Excel PowerPivot workbook to SharePoint we have three options:
    a) Save-As and select the PowerPivot Gallery
    b) Select Share-Save to SharePoint
    c) Select Share-Publish to Excel Services

My question is - is there any difference in these three approaches to uploading the mashup to sharepoint ?

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:06 PM

Answers

• Hi kman626,

It really depends on what you want to do. All the options can save to the same location in SharePoint, and depending of the options you choose, all three options can potentially (and probably) save it in the same way. :)

Best,
    Mariano
    • Marked as answer by Bob DuffyMVP Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:05 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

They are slightly different.  Excel provides a few different options when saving depending on which way you chose, such as to save parts of the workbook.

All the three options are Excel 2010 features.

Hope that helps,
    Mariano
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Mariano,

Could you please provide some background and guidance as to when a worksheet should be saved to one location vs. another?

Thanks
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Hi kman626,

It really depends on what you want to do. All the options can save to the same location in SharePoint, and depending of the options you choose, all three options can potentially (and probably) save it in the same way. :)

Best,
    Mariano
    • Marked as answer by Bob DuffyMVP Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:05 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:33 AM
  • If you are saving the entire workbook, then there is no difference.
    Share-Publish allows you to specify named ranges as a subset so that only a portion of the workbook is visible and the user can interact with.

All 3 of these options use the new content sync utility that allows asychronous uploads to the server.
    And unfortunately it can be a bit buggy. I have found that it is OK with small files, but hangs quite frequently with large ones.

Therefore I never use *any* of the 3 options -- I always use the file upload feature in SharePoint. You go to the document library where you want the file to be loaded, and click on the "Document" ribbon. From there, you can upload the file to SharePoint. I have found this much more reliable and considerably faster (2X to 3X).

Hope that helps.

_-_-_ Dave

Dave Wickert (MSFT) blog: http://www.powerpivotgeek.com/ Enjoy!
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:27 AM
  • thanks Dave, this solved my PowerPivot problems. Saving and Publishing the PowerPivot sheet made my files corrupt, when I upload them they work ok !
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Thanks Dave - That helps a lot.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:05 AM