none
Report Server has encountered a SharePoint Error.(rsSharePointError)..Object Reference Not set to an instance of an object.

Question

•  

hi All,

I have Installed SQL 2008 RTM in Sharepoint Integrated Mode. When i browse to the report server URL i get this error.

Report Server has encountered a SharePoint Error.(rsSharePointError)..Object Reference Not set to an instance of an object.

and this error in the Set Server Defaults:

An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InternalCatalogException: An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. ---> System.Exception: For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

I am using separate domain account to for RS and Sharepoint Farm Account for Sharepoint.

Earlier I was getting "Unable to connect to report server WMI Provider" on the Grant Database Access. But i manually gave permission to the account seeing this link(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159704(printer).aspx)

I am sure its something related to account security only. Any clue?

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:16 PM

All replies

• Any Help..Any clue?

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:18 AM
  • Are you able to view the exception stack / more info in the ReportServer logfiles? If yes, can you please cut-paste the 

contents in this thread?

thanx,

Prash

Monday, September 15, 2008 4:43 PM
    Answerer
  •  

Application Log error 1:
    SQL database login failed. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

Application Log Error 2:
    The schema version (3.1.4.0) of the database Adatum_WSS_Content on MOSS is not consistent with the expected database schema version (3.1.3.0) on SQL2008.  Connections to this database from this server have been blocked to avoid data loss.  Upgrade the web front end or the content database to ensure that these versions match.

Part of RS Log file:

library!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: i INFO: Catalog SQL Server Edition = Enterprise
    crypto!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: i INFO: Initializing crypto as user: LITWARE\SQL08RSWindowsAccoun
    crypto!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: i INFO: Exporting public key
    crypto!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: i INFO: Performing sku validation
    crypto!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: i INFO: Importing existing encryption key
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: Call to ListParentsAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:29:58:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, False).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:30:06:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error., ;
     Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointDBInterface.internalFindObjectsNonRecursive(String wssUrl, CatalogItemList& children)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointDBInterface.FindObjectsNonRecursive(String wssUrl, CatalogItemList& childList, Security secMgr, IPathTranslator pathTranslator, Boolean appendMyReports)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    webserver!ReportServer_0-1!f00!09/11/2008-23:30:06:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointDBInterface.internalFindObjectsNonRecursive(String wssUrl, CatalogItemList& children)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointDBInterface.FindObjectsNonRecursive(String wssUrl, CatalogItemList& childList, Security secMgr, IPathTranslator pathTranslator, Boolean appendMyReports)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ListChildrenAction.PerformActionNow()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.RSSoapAction`1.Execute()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderFolder()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderItem(ItemType itemType)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderPageContent()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderPage()
    library!ReportServer_0-1!a40!09/11/2008-23:32:13:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!a40!09/11/2008-23:32:13:: Call to ListParentsAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!a40!09/11/2008-23:32:13:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, False).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!a40!09/11/2008-23:32:13:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error., ;
     Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    webserver!ReportServer_0-1!a40!09/11/2008-23:32:13:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderFolder()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderItem(ItemType itemType)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.RenderPageContent()
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:31:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:31:: Call to ListParentsAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:31:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, False).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:31:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error., ;
    webserver!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:31:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:42:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:42:: Call to ListParentsAction(/).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:42:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, False).
    library!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:42:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error., ;
    webserver!ReportServer_0-1!f04!09/11/2008-23:32:42:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    library!WindowsService_3!a08!09/11/2008-23:32:43:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch()
    library!WindowsService_3!a08!09/11/2008-23:32:43:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 0 segments, 0 segment mappings.
    library!WindowsService_3!a08!09/11/2008-23:32:43:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Can you make sure you can successfully browse all the SharePoint web application sites in your SharePoint farm? Based on your logs there is a high likelihood that at least the web site for the SharePoint web application using Adatum_WSS_Content database may not be working.

HTH

Prash

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi all I am getting this error when i run report server from local machine which is integrated with Moss in different machine. plz anyone have solution.urgently required

Reporting Services Error

• Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. (rsSharePointError) Get Online Help
      • Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

SQL Server Reporting Services

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:04 PM
  •  

HI:

I am experiencing the similar problem. Did you fix this. If so, please post the resolution.

I get the following error when i browse to the report server URL:

I am able to set Default Properties and set Grant Database Access.

Thanks,
    Vamsi

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Can you provide more information how you see this error such as while rendering a report, creating a data source etc.? Can you provide contents of the report server logs showing this error and the exception stack?

HTH

Prash

Monday, November 03, 2008 5:36 AM
    Answerer
  • i am also facing the same problem when i try to access my reporting page from http://datahub-dc:8080/reportserver

my log file:

Code Snippet

<Header>
      <Product>Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Version 9.00.3073.00</Product>
      <Locale>en-US</Locale>
      <TimeZone>Malay Peninsula Standard Time</TimeZone>
      <Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles\ReportServer__12_11_2008_11_02_38.log</Path>
      <SystemName>DATAHUB-DC</SystemName>
      <OSName>Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 1</OSName>
      <OSVersion>5.2.3790.65536</OSVersion>
    </Header>
    w3wp!webserver!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Reporting Web Server started
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing ConnectionType to '1'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing IsSchedulingService to 'True'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing IsNotificationService to 'True'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing IsEventService to 'True'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing PollingInterval to '10' second(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing WindowsServiceUseFileShareStorage to 'False'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing MemoryLimit to '60' percent as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing RecycleTime to '720' minute(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing MaximumMemoryLimit to '80' percent as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing MaxAppDomainUnloadTime to '30' minute(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing MaxQueueThreads to '0' thread(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing IsWebServiceEnabled to 'True'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing MaxActiveReqForOneUser to '20' requests(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing MaxScheduleWait to '5' second(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing DatabaseQueryTimeout to '120' second(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing ProcessRecycleOptions to '0'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing RunningRequestsScavengerCycle to '60' second(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing RunningRequestsDbCycle to '60' second(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing RunningRequestsAge to '30' second(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing CleanupCycleMinutes to '10' minute(s) as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing DailyCleanupMinuteOfDay to default value of '120' minutes since midnight because it was not specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing WatsonFlags to '1064'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing WatsonDumpOnExceptions to 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InternalCatalogException,Microsoft.ReportingServices.Modeling.InternalModelingException'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing WatsonDumpExcludeIfContainsExceptions to 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException,System.Threading.ThreadAbortException'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing SecureConnectionLevel to '0'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing DisplayErrorLink to 'True'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Initializing WebServiceUseFileShareStorage to 'False'  as specified in Configuration file.
    w3wp!resourceutilities!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Reporting Services starting SKU: Standard
    w3wp!resourceutilities!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Evaluation copy: 0 days left
    w3wp!resourceutilities!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Running on 1 physical processors, 1 logical processors
    w3wp!runningjobs!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Database Cleanup (Web Service) timer enabled: Next Event: 600 seconds.  Cycle: 600 seconds
    w3wp!runningjobs!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Running Requests Scavenger timer enabled: Next Event: 60 seconds.  Cycle: 60 seconds
    w3wp!runningjobs!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Running Requests DB timer enabled: Next Event: 60 seconds.  Cycle: 60 seconds
    w3wp!runningjobs!5!11/12/2008-11:02:39:: i INFO: Memory stats update timer enabled: Next Event: 60 seconds.  Cycle: 60 seconds
    w3wp!library!5!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/).
    w3wp!library!5!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: i INFO: Catalog SQL Server Edition = Standard
    w3wp!library!1!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/).
    w3wp!library!5!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: Call to ListParentsAction(/).
    w3wp!library!1!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: Call to ListParentsAction(/).
    w3wp!library!5!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, False).
    w3wp!library!1!12/11/2008-11:02:40:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, False).
    w3wp!library!5!12/11/2008-11:02:44:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error., ;
    w3wp!library!1!12/11/2008-11:02:44:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error., ;
    w3wp!webserver!1!12/11/2008-11:02:44:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    w3wp!webserver!5!12/11/2008-11:02:44:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:12:39:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams
    w3wp!library!5!11/12/2008-11:22:39:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams

i havent added any reports yet but i dont think it should show this error right? I try to go to reportviewer.aspx directly but i am still unable to run it without error. The other thing that i notice from sharepoint central administration under this server the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application is having error starting issue. Will this cause this problem?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Sorry for the delay on getting back. Are you still seeing the error? In any case, when you browse to the Report Server in SharePoint mode it lists the SharePoint Web sites you have access to in the SharePoint Farm. In your case it appears that when the NullReference exception is being returned by SharePoint when Report Server is listing these sites. This can happen when a Web application in the SharePoint Farm is having issues / errors. Having said that, what happens when you try to deploy / render / manage a report from a site in a web application that does not show errors?

HTH
    Prash
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 2:47 AM
    Answerer
  • i figured the problem was caused by different version of the sharepoint on each web front ends. I have now made sure they are all the same version by installing the same hotfixes, updates etc and now its working fine
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 3:33 AM
  • I have the same problem when installing sql 2k8 developer edition on a windows xp machine; i get the error msg:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object

this msg comes early on right after computer check is finsihed.

at first i thought this is a conflict with sql 2k5; removal of sql 2k5 did not resolve the porblem; then i removed visual studio 2k5; same problem persists;

any suggestions?

adach
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:33 PM
  • this is the exact msg:

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

Summer log file:

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
      Exit code (Decimal):           677421808
      Exit facility code:            96
      Exit error code:               41712
      Exit message:                  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      Start time:                    2009-01-12 11:23:21
      End time:                      2009-01-12 11:35:09
      Requested action:              Install
      Log with failure:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090112_111009\Detail.txt
      Exception help link:           http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.0.1600.22%26EvtType%3d0x07B38DC0%400x2860A2F0

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  EC078461
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Windows XP
      OS service pack:               Service Pack 2
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x86
      Process architecture:          32 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered
      Sql Server 2000                                                          Client Connectivity                                           Tools                                No       
      Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        Database Engine Services                 1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        Full-Text Search                         1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        SharedTools                              1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.2                        Analysis Services                        1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          DTS                                      1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          Tools                                    1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsClient                              1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsClient\Connectivity                 1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsDocument                            1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsDocument\BOL                        1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsDocument\Samples                    1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       
      Sql Server 2005                                                          NS                                       1033                 Developer Edition    9.00.1399.06    No       

Package properties:
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008
      SQLProductFamilyCode:          {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}
      ProductName:                   SQL2008
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         C:\SQLServer2008Dev\x86\setup\
      Installation edition:          DEVELOPER

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Install
      ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN:      False
      AGTSVCACCOUNT:                 <empty>
      AGTSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Manual
      ASBACKUPDIR:                   Backup
      ASCOLLATION:                   Latin1_General_CI_AS
      ASCONFIGDIR:                   Config
      ASDATADIR:                     Data
      ASDOMAINGROUP:                 <empty>
      ASLOGDIR:                      Log
      ASPROVIDERMSOLAP:              1
      ASSVCACCOUNT:                  <empty>
      ASSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS:            <empty>
      ASTEMPDIR:                     Temp
      BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE:         Disabled
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:            
      ENABLERANU:                    False
      ERRORREPORTING:                False
      FEATURES:                     
      FILESTREAMLEVEL:               0
      FILESTREAMSHARENAME:           <empty>
      FTSVCACCOUNT:                  <empty>
      FTSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      HELP:                          False
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              False
      INSTALLSHAREDDIR:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR:           C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSQLDATADIR:             <empty>
      INSTANCEDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTANCEID:                    <empty>
      INSTANCENAME:                  <empty>
      ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
      ISSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      MEDIASOURCE:                   C:\SQLServer2008Dev\
      NPENABLED:                     0
      PID:                           *****
      QUIET:                         False
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   False
      RSINSTALLMODE:                 FilesOnlyMode
      RSSVCACCOUNT:                  <empty>
      RSSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      SAPWD:                         *****
      SECURITYMODE:                  <empty>
      SQLBACKUPDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLCOLLATION:                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
      SQLSVCACCOUNT:                 <empty>
      SQLSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Automatic
      SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS:           <empty>
      SQLTEMPDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQLUSERDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLUSERDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQMREPORTING:                  False
      TCPENABLED:                    0
      X86:                           False

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090112_111009\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090112_111009\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Exception summary:
    The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: System.NullReferenceException
            Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
        Data:
          DisableWatson = true
        Stack:
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.FillInstallPropertyBySQLDiscovery(PackageInstallProperty pkg, XmlNodeList pkgDiscoveryXmlNodeList)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.FillInstallProperty(PackageInstallProperty pkg)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.GetFeatureInstallState(ServiceContainer context, String instanceName, String sqlInstanceId, String asInstanceId, String rsInstanceId, String mediaPath)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.GetFeatureInstallState(ServiceContainer context, String instanceName, String mediaPath)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.FeatureTreeConfigurationBase.CreateFeatureTreeFactory(String instanceName)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.FeatureTreeConfigurationBase.LoadFeatureTreeDefinition(String instanceName)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.FeatureTreeConfigurationBase.LoadFeatureTreeDefinition()
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.FeatureTreeConfigurationBase..ctor(ServiceContainer context, FeatureEdition featureEdition)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.InstallFeatureTree..ctor(ServiceContainer context)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ExpandInstallFeatures.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)

adach
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:37 PM
  • You are getting NullReferenceException during SQL Server setup, which is unrelated to the original issue of this thread. The right place to post this question would be @"SQL Server Setup and Upgrade" forum - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/threads/. Additionally, you may want to include contents of the details.txt from your setup logs for this erroneous install from %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\setup Bootstrap\ when you post your question.  

HTH
    Prash

Sunday, February 01, 2009 2:45 AM
    Answerer
  • Same error:

Reporting Services Error

• Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. (rsSharePointError) Get Online Help
      • Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Runs fine in Native mode but as soon as I change to SharePoint Integrated mode - get this when I'm browsing to ReportServer in IIS
    On the phone with Microsoft for 3.5 hours today and they havn't been able to resolve it - ran through the whole install with them and it just keeps falling over

let you know if I get something

Cheers

Jonj

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:30 PM
  • When you browse to report server in SharePoint Integrated mode it will try to enumerate all the site collections in the SharePoint farm it has been joined to. When it encounters NullReference exception when doing so it generally has been due to:
    a) Report Server has not been provisioned correctly / completely to acccess SharePoint. In this case, ensure you follow the steps to configure the integration on Report Server and SharePoint central admin @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326356.aspx), OR
    b) One or more SharePoint site collections are in a bad state / orphaned. Reporting functionality should still work in working SharePoint site collections. Additionally, you may want to refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/krichie/archive/2005/10/25/484889.aspx to detect / fix the SharePoint site collection. OR
    c) Different version of Sharepoint on the web front end installed on Report Server. (noted earlier in this thread)

HTH
    Prash

Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:19 AM
    Answerer
  • I would recommend checking out this similar posting here - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/a55419d9-a9d3-414d-a642-a50263b727c4/.

This resolved my issue.  I had not granted the database access yet within Central Administration for Reporting Services.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:22 PM
  • There are probably many causes for this problem.  I discovered that when I received this error message while trying to deploy a .rdl to SharePoint, it was caused because I had an ampersand in the .rdl filename.  Apparently, SharePoint didn't like the special character.  The solution was just to not have any special characters in the file name.
    • Proposed as answer by David Lent Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:40 PM