none
Replication Failed: MSmerge_genhistory getting too big? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a SQL server 2000 merge replication and it has been running for couple of years. We were even fine too at the beginning after upgraded our publisher SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. Now we are starting have problems. I just found there were two files seem to be too big, MSmerge_genhistory.bcp (1,830,287K) and MSmerge_genhistory90.bcp (1,977,746K). I have no idea why these two files are so big.

My questions are:

1.       Why these two files? (we do have a mix of SQL Server 2000 MSDE and SQL Server 2005 Express as the subscribers)

2.       Can (Should) I clean the MSmerge_genhistory table? How?(sp_mergemetadataretentioncleanup)

3.       What could be the impact to all the existing subscribers if I clean this table?

Thank you for your help.

Yong

Monday, September 11, 2006 2:05 PM

Answers

• wow, that's a lot of history!  You should first determine why this table is so huge.  How many digits is the max generation number?  ALso, what is the publication retention, you can run sp_helpmergepublication to determine retention period.

If you do decide to clean up some metadata, I would do it little by little rather than try and do it all at once. 

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:30 AM