none
Utility Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I've downloaded and installed the Developer edition of SQL Server 2016 SP1 and the latest SSMS (SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe). Now when I'm trying to open Utility Explorer I just can't find it:

???

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• Edited by MF47 Friday, June 23, 2017 8:15 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hi MF47,

Utility Control Point UI has been removed from SSMS 17. Download and install previous version of SSMS(16.5.3) if you need it. SSMS 17 can be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of SSMS so you can keep multiple versions of SSMS on a same computer.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MF47 Friday, June 23, 2017 10:44 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi MF47,

Utility Control Point UI has been removed from SSMS 17. Download and install previous version of SSMS(16.5.3) if you need it. SSMS 17 can be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of SSMS so you can keep multiple versions of SSMS on a same computer.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MF47 Friday, June 23, 2017 10:44 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Hi Lin,

Thank you for your help!

...just couldn't imagine it had been removed... The article you mentioned states it's been removed but not why - is this feature going to be depricated in future versions?

Regards,

Michael

Friday, June 23, 2017 10:44 AM
  • I believe that this is a feature with very little uptake. I have never used it myself, and in all my years in SQL forums I have very rarely seen questions about it. So I guess that Microsoft dropped it, because it was not worth the maintenance costs to keep it alive.

Friday, June 23, 2017 11:54 AM
  • ...weird... MS adds a whole chapter to its latest DBA 2016 official curriculum for the to be dropped utility (the corresponding curriculum for DBA 2012 did not have such the chapter):

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:09 AM
  • What book is it? And all your recent questions are related to this book? I'm still working on the dc_proxy question and i'll keep you posted in that thread.

Regards,

Lin

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:13 AM
  • Weird, I agree. I teach SQL Server (have done so since early 90's now) and I am partly amused and partly horrified that they include this topic in the "DBA" class. An experienced trainer should be able to handle this and communicate how things are, but of course the topic shouldn't be in the course in the first place.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:26 AM
  • "And all your recent questions are related to this book?" - yes, they are: 20167B Administering a SQL Database Infrastructure.

"I'm still working on the dc_proxy question and i'll keep you posted in that thread" - thank you very much, Lin!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:30 AM
  • "but of course the topic shouldn't be in the course in the first place." - :(

The course I've studied included a great lab on Utility Explorer so I was sure it could be  of much use in future (although I've been administering SQL for many years and haven't had hitherto any need to use Utility Explorer...)

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:36 AM
  • So I installed the latest version of SSMS to find Utility Explorer no longer exists.  I then installed 16.5.3 and setup the UCP.  Next time I attempted to connect, 16.5.3 SSMS froze.  I've not been able to connect since.  Way to go Microsoft!!

Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:01 PM
  • "Next time I attempted to connect, 16.5.3 SSMS froze." - either the latest version of SSMS without Utility Explorer that works or the previous with UE that frozes - no comments...
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:31 AM