report Manager problem: The user or group name 'BUILTIN\Administrators' is not recognized. (rsUnknownUserName) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a big  problem with Reporting Services 2005 working on Windows 2003 Server.
    RS work as Network service, on subdomain reporting.mydomain with SSL wildcard certificate *.mydomain,
    Anonymous access: disabled and basic authentication: enabled
    ReportManager and reportServer has defualt virtual folders  (/reporting, /reportserver)

My problem is:
    1) I can't manage security roles and site settings with report maanger. when I try assign roles to new user or group I get followng error:

"The user or group name 'BUILTIN\Administrators' is not recognized. (rsUnknownUserName) Get Online Help"
    when i try to execute reports in report manager, parameters controls are not displayed correctly (very simple text boxes) and I can see:
    The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)

and I can't see my report in browser (IE 6.0) but only export to PDF, Excel...

other functionality are working  fine i.e upload new files, creatign folders....

2) Also my reportserver virtual folder does not work correctly.
    When I navigate to mydomain/reportserver I can see content of this virtual folder, than when I navigate to ReportService.soap i can see normal ReportServer view

reporting.mydomain - /Reportserver/

[To Parent Directory]

Montag, 10. April 2006    16:31        <dir> bin
      Dienstag, 6. September 2005    01:12       488278 Catalog.sql
      Dienstag, 6. September 2005    01:12        14738 CatalogTempDB.sql
          Freitag, 21. April 2006    19:45        10555 Copy of rsreportserver.config
          Freitag, 14. April 2006    17:29           76 global.asax
           Freitag, 15. Juli 2005    01:12        26582 ModelGenerationRules.smgl
           Montag, 10. April 2006    16:31        <dir> Pages
           Montag, 10. April 2006    16:31        <dir> ReportBuilder
            Montag, 13. Juni 2005    14:07          143 ReportExecution2005.asmx
            Montag, 13. Juni 2005    14:06       196337 ReportingServices.wsdl
            Montag, 13. Juni 2005    14:07          131 ReportService.asmx
            Montag, 13. Juni 2005    14:07          131 ReportService.soap
            Montag, 13. Juni 2005    14:07          139 ReportService2005.asmx
          Dienstag, 13. Juni 2006    20:01        10580 rsreportserver.config
            Montag, 13. Juni 2005    14:07        11845 rssrvpolicy.config
           Montag, 10. April 2006    16:31        <dir> Styles
           Freitag, 17. Juni 2005    01:09         2673 web.config

but me reports are not displayed correctly, I can run reports but top bar with parameters, export and print function are not displayed in correct format.
    (simple textboxes, and icons)

reporting.mydomain/ReportServer - /

Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Version 9.00.1399.00

I think it is security issue. What schould i do to solve this problems?

Wojtek

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:56 PM

Answers

• To simplify the problem, don't use SSL when you are debugging it.

There are 2 things that stands out:

1. The dates are not in English. Are you running on a localized OS? If so is it possible that the name of  "BUILTIN\Administrators" is also localized?
    2. Your reportserver directory is not supposed to show you the IIS style directory view. There is a wildcard mapping on it that directs http requests to a handler, and show you a RS style directory view. You won't see the *.sql files and *.config files among other things. This indicates there is something wrong with the virtual directory setup. I suggest you to recreate both vdirs, using the configuration tool.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:12 PM

All replies

• To simplify the problem, don't use SSL when you are debugging it.

There are 2 things that stands out:

1. The dates are not in English. Are you running on a localized OS? If so is it possible that the name of  "BUILTIN\Administrators" is also localized?
    2. Your reportserver directory is not supposed to show you the IIS style directory view. There is a wildcard mapping on it that directs http requests to a handler, and show you a RS style directory view. You won't see the *.sql files and *.config files among other things. This indicates there is something wrong with the virtual directory setup. I suggest you to recreate both vdirs, using the configuration tool.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:12 PM
  • Hi Wojtek

I just wanted to know if you found a solution for part (1).  I just recently encountered the problem where:

"when i try to execute reports in report manager, parameters controls are not displayed correctly (very simple text boxes) and I can see:
    The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady) "

However all my reports are run from the most recent data.  The rsReportNotReady message appears in Report Manager but not the Report Server interface; the latter is able to render the reports.   But both have incorrectly displayed textbox inputs.

Thanks

nemo

Friday, December 1, 2006 3:31 PM
  •  

Hi Nemo,

I don't remember my solution for this issue, but it was security issue.

I would try to run Report Server with default settings.

Wojtek

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:26 PM

• Hi,

I remebmer this issue!

In Reporting Services Configuration, you have not enabled Web Services.

Wojtek

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:17 PM
  •  

Hi,

i have a problem with report manager. i can see all reports when i login with"administrator" and i can see the content of the report.but i've create other users with some roles for security when i login to see reports i can't check their contents, this msg appear: " Your browser does not support scripts or has been configured not to allow scripts".

and these same reports i can check them if i login with"Administrator"

I'm using SQL 2005

thx

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:21 AM
  • If you use localized server and you recive message on web reports

"The user or group name 'BUILTIN\Administrators' is not recognized"

connect to current report server database, using SQL Management Studio

then

edit dbo.SecData Table

in column XmlDescription change Administrators to Adminitratorzy (for Poland localization)

it works now

PP

Friday, April 18, 2014 10:11 AM