none
SQL Agent Job using Proxy failing with "reason: Error authenticating proxy Domain\Account, system error: The user name or password is incorrect." RRS feed

• Question

• Re: SQL Agent Job using Proxy failing with "reason: Error authenticating proxy Domain\Account, system error: The user name or password is incorrect."

I want to run a SQL AGent job that does a CmdExec to stop a service "c:\windows\system32\net stop "IBM Cognos:9313"". Unfortunately the SQL Agent Service got an access is denied. So I setup Credentials using my Active Directory Domain\Account credentials. I am a system admin in SQL and on the Server. Then setup a proxy using my new Credentials and made it active to the CmdExec subsystem. Also added every 'NT%'  account principal.

But when i run the SQL Agent Job, which I changed the step "Run as" to use the new proxy, I get the error "reason: Error authenticating proxy Domain\Account, system error: The user name or password is incorrect.."

My AD account had been locked out by running the sql agent job, so i know that it is hitting my DA account. And I know that the password for the Credientials is correct. So what is up?

• Edited by TheBrenda Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:21 PM edit
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:17 PM

All replies

• Sounds more like Windows question than a T-SQL question...

It could be that you don't have permission to log on to that server.

It could be that you don't have permission to log on as a service or similar.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:10 PM
  • Hi TheBrenda, 

Thank you for your issue . 

Per your description, I think your issue might be related to Windows or Engine.  If so, please post your issue in the corresponding forum and you will get more professional help  .     Windows Forum  SQL Server Database Engine

Also , I find some related articles . Hope it will help you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/60b112df-edbf-46f6-bc26-06d83e756366/sql-agent-error-authenticating-proxy?forum=sqldatabaseengine

By the way, if you have post your issue in the corresponding forum  ,in order to close this thread, please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rachel

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:54 AM
  • Erland

I don't see how it is a permissions issue if it is attempting a login with the wrong password. If I run the SQL AGent job three times my Active Directory login is locked out. So it is attempting to login, and it must have my userid correct, but the password is wrong or maybe missing. 

I am not in SSMS at the moment, but when I setup the credientials there was a checkbox about Encryption that I did not check. 

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:47 AM
  • ...or it could be that you after all did fat-finger the password when you created the credential.

In any case, using your own personal account for the credential is not a long-term solution. The normal procedure where I am, is that I ask the IT folks to create a new Windows login for the purpose. Or, well, since this appears to be a local task, you could create login local to the server. The drawback with that is that things will stop working when you move SQL Server to a newer machine later on.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:31 PM
  • I did not fat finger. I copied and pasted the login - three seperate times - from my password software. and also pasted into a remote login that logged me in. So the password, as entered into the screen, is correct. 

I am just trying to setup my first proxy. it would not be moved to production. 

Friday, January 24, 2020 7:42 PM
  • Ask somewhere else like Windows and engine?
    Monday, January 27, 2020 8:24 AM