none
Edge Developer Tools (EdgeHTML) do not display, just a gray window RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on an application that needs cross browser support and we're running into issues with a couple controls only in Edge.  We've found it to be a styling issue and I want to work in Edge using the developer tools to work through it.  However, Edge developer tools are not displaying, I only get a blank, gray window and no tools (I can't include a picture because my account isn't verified yet).

How do I get the actual tools to display?

Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0

Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:18 PM

All replies

• I'm working on an application that needs cross browser support and we're running into issues with a couple controls only in Edge.  We've found it to be a styling issue and I want to work in Edge using the developer tools to work through it.  However, Edge developer tools are not displaying, I only get a blank, gray window and no tools (I can't include a picture because my account isn't verified yet).

How do I get the actual tools to display?

Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0

Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362

Hi Jeff Z HSTM,

From your description, it seems that the F12 developer tools option is clickable, it means that you are not disable the Microsoft Edge F12 developer tools (You could check it via the group policy: Open Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to Computer/User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Edge > Allow Developer Tools, double click the item and check whether enable/disable the Developer Tools). 

I have tested it on my side, if we enable the F12 developer tools, everything works well on my machine (using Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0).

So, first, please refer to previous steps to make sure the Developer tools is available in Microsoft Edge in the Group Policy Editor.

Second, try to open Microsoft Edge, select History> Clear history. Select Browsing history and Cached data and files, and then select Clear to clear the same.

If clearing Edge browsing history and cached data doesn’t fix the issue, reset Edge. Open Settings and navigate to Apps > Apps & features > Microsoft Edge. Click on Advanced Options and choose Repair or Reset.

[Note] Resetting Edge will remove your history, cookies, and many settings that were changed.

Besides, some of the common problems on Microsoft Edge are solved by updating Windows 10. Run Windows Update to help correct problems by replacing outdated files, updating drivers, and fixing vulnerabilities.

To check for updates, select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your PC is current, you have all the current updates.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:46 AM
  • None of the above worked.  I'm still stuck with a gray, empty window for developer tools.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:52 PM
  • There also has one option is to reinstall or reset the Microsoft Edge browser. To do that, I suggest that you create a system restore point first, then you can proceed with these steps:

1. Close Microsoft Edge browser, if it’s running.
    2. Open File Explorer, click View and then check Hidden items box to view all hidden folders. This is required as some folders like AppData are hidden by default.
    3. Type "Run" in the search field or Cortana, then copy and paste file location below:
         C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages
         Note: Replace “UserName” with your user name.
    4. Look for the folder named “Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe“ and delete it. You might get the confirmation dialog when you click Delete. Click Yes button.
    5. You will see the following dialog with “Preparing to recycle from Packages“ message. This might take several minutes to discover all items in that folder. You might also see the following dialog with “Do you want to permanently delete this folder? The folder contains items whose names are too long for the Recycle Bin.” message. Simply click Yes button. It will take a couple of minutes to delete this or items of this folder. If you get the following dialog with “Are you sure you want to delete it?“ message, click Yes. If it refuses to delete some files, click Skip.
    6. Close all running apps and restart your PC.
    7. Launch PowerShell by simply typing it in the search field or Cortana, right click it and click Run administrator option.
    8. Once PowerShell is launched, navigate to your user account’s directory by executing this following command:
        cd C:\users\yourusername
        Note: Replace “yourusername” with your actual user name of your account.
    9. Copy and paste this command in the PowerShell command box:
        Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
    10. Click on Enter. You will see “Operation completed for” message once the command is successfully executed.
    11. Restart your computer then your Microsoft Edge should be working properly once you launch. it.

Reference: Reinstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

• Edited by Zhi Lv Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:27 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:26 AM