Trying to connect to Microsoft Azure DB Server from Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

trying to connect to SQL Server from VS on a Laptop - getting Login Failed for user 'Admin'

I have allowed my laptop IP in the aure db firewall - and reset the Admin account password - so not sure what else to do

I'm a newbie to asp.net, and Azure, so not sure if I need a new account for the db? I would have thought that 'Admin' would be able to access the server though?

THanks

Col

Friday, May 26, 2017 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Col,

Please refer to this blog which gives all the steps and details we need pay attention to connect the Azure DB.  

and about the authentication:

SQL Database supports two types of authentication:

SQL Authentication, which uses a username and password. When you created the logical server for your database, you specified a "server admin" login with a username and password. Using these credentials, you can authenticate to any database on that server as the database owner, or "dbo."

Azure Active Directory Authentication, which uses identities managed by Azure Active Directory and is supported for managed and integrated domains. Use Active Directory authentication (integrated security) whenever possible. If you want to use Azure Active Directory Authentication, you must create another server admin called the "Azure AD admin," which is allowed to administer Azure AD users and groups. This admin can also perform all operations that a regular server admin can. See Connecting to SQL Database By Using Azure Active Directory Authentication for a walkthrough of how to create an Azure AD admin to enable Azure Active Directory Authentication.

Reference link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-control-access

I hope it helps and please feel free to let us know if you'll need any other help.

Best regards,

Fletch 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Monday, May 29, 2017 7:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:49 PM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 7:34 AM