none
Can not create Listner for High availability group of Always on in SQL 2012 on cluster environment RRS feed

• Question

•  I have getting issues when i am creating listener for always On

Error shown as below

Can not bring  the Windows server fail over cluster (WSFC) resources online. (Error Code 5942). The WSFC service may not be running or may not be accessible in its currents states, or the WSFC resources may not be in a state that could accept the request. For information about this error code see "system error code" in windows development documentation 

The attempt to create network name and IP address for the listener is failed. The WSFC service may not be running or may not be accessible in its currents states or the value provide for the network name and IP address may be incorrect. Check the state of the WSFC cluster and validate network name and IP address with network administrator. (Microsoft SQL Server error 41066) 

Please suggest what to do  to ressolve this issues.

Thank You

Nirav Bhatt

• Moved by Olaf HelperMVP Saturday, July 4, 2015 5:05 AM Moved from "Database Engine" to a more related forum.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Nirav,

As discussed in this blog, the issue could be caused by that the system's 'Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer' is not set. Please check that if the ‘Primary DNS suffix of this computer’ is configured correctly under Control Panel’s System and Security.

Also this problem may exist on other nodes in the cluster, ensure that the DNS suffix has been properly set on all the Windows cluster nodes that might be a failover target for your availability group.

However, if the issue still persists, please help to post the error messages in cluster log for analysis.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:14 AM

All replies

• Add start up account of cluster service to SQL Server login and grant sysadmin role (Start up account of cluster service will be nt authority\system by default).

for refer

http://sqlserverscribbles.com/2013/11/17/cannot-bring-the-windows-server-failover-clustering-wsfc-resource-id-online-error-code-5018/

Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:18 AM
  • Hi Nirav,

As discussed in this blog, the issue could be caused by that the system's 'Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer' is not set. Please check that if the ‘Primary DNS suffix of this computer’ is configured correctly under Control Panel’s System and Security.

Also this problem may exist on other nodes in the cluster, ensure that the DNS suffix has been properly set on all the Windows cluster nodes that might be a failover target for your availability group.

However, if the issue still persists, please help to post the error messages in cluster log for analysis.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Having fought with creating the listener account on my environment for a few days and finally getting it to work, I feel obliged to chime in.

I created the cluster with a domain admin account and followed all of the requisite steps here ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh403415.aspx) after creating my cluster. I was able to configure the AlwaysOn HA group with no issues, but I still could not configure a listener for some reason. 

Turns out that Dinesh Vishe was correct. I had to add the Cluster Server user to my SQL server's logins manually and grant them sysadmin permission. The names of the accounts are %MACHINENAME%\CLIUSR. Add the accounts to all nodes of my cluster.

AFTER THAT! I had to go into Active Directory and grant the cluster computer object permission to create child objects in the OU it created the Listener AD object in. Actually, I just temporarily granted the cluster account object full permission to the Servers OU (it may create the listener object in the Computers container in some cases, I'm not sure). 

But I wanted to thank Dinesh Vishe. Without your advice, I'd still be pulling my hair out.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:28 AM