none
SSDT and Azure Database Basic Tier RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I have a strange problem, I just created a new SQL database on Azure using the Basic tier. SSDT can't publish my database project to this database tier. I can publish the same database project to other databases on the retired WEB and BUSINESS tiers.

I always end up with error Unable to import database model, SSDT keep running for more than 4 minutes and stops with this error!

I upgraded to latest SSDT for VS 2012 (JULY 2014) but still facing the same issue.

Any clue regarding this?

Monday, September 22, 2014 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Hesham

Basic and Web have very different performance characteristics. See this site for a few details on the differences: Azure Pricing details. Now what errors are you getting publishing to the basic edition database? If you are getting timeout exceptions you change the command timeouts for VS as follows:

VS2013

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\SQLDB\Database\QueryTimeoutSeconds

VS2012

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\SQLDB\Database\QueryTimeoutSeconds

VS2010 or CommandLine

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\SQLDB\Database\QueryTimeoutSeconds

Start by setting the timeout to 120 and see if this resolves your issue.

Lonny

Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:21 AM
  • Here is an article on the new Editions with some data on what to expect of them vs old Web & Business editions: http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/09/11/azure-sql-database-introduces-new-near-real-time-performance-metrics/

I hope this helps.

Lonny

Monday, September 29, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Hello everyone

I have a strange problem, I just created a new SQL database on Azure using the Basic tier. SSDT can't publish my database project to this database tier. I can publish the same database project to other databases on the retired WEB and BUSINESS tiers.

I always end up with error Unable to import database model, SSDT keep running for more than 4 minutes and stops with this error!

I upgraded to latest SSDT for VS 2012 (JULY 2014) but still facing the same issue.

Any clue regarding this?

I am new with azure but have plenty of exp. with the MS platform.

basic sql db and I can not publish also. upgrade the db to standard and it works.

we should not be having to edit connection strings to make the publish work, this is a flaw in azure that should be fixed.   if the basic db is that slow is it even usable for any production environment ?

alli was trying to publish was about 7 tables no procs, triggers etc.... so the sql for creating the tables should be tiny.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Hi Denny. This issue has been resolved in the preview version of the SQL tools in VS that we released in December. This added much better timeout support built into the platform, plus support for the Azure SQL Database Update V12 preview. Our next release will include all of this functionality, but feel free to try the preview right now and let us know how you find it.

Release announcement

Download link

Regards,

Kevin

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:31 AM