none
PowerPivot Config Tool - "New versions of the Powerpivot solution files have been detected" popup message

Question

• Running SharePoint 2010 SP1 (CU kb2598355 July 2, 2012) and SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for SharePoint with CU2

I installed PowerPivot for SharePoint into an existing "test" SharePoint Farm.  After installing the SQL Server - PowerPivot for SharePoint option, which created the POWERPIVOT instance, I then upgraded to SQL Server CU2.  Everything went fine.

I then started the "PowerPivot Configuration Tool" and no upgrade message was displayed.  I quit out of "PowerPivot Configuration Tool" without running anything.

Next I provisioned PowerPivot using PowerShell scripts.  Everything seems to have gone fine.

The strange thing is that running "PowerPivot Configuration Tool" immediately after provisioning, I now get the following popup message when it starts.

"Newer versions of the PowerPivot solution files have been detected.  Please select the upgrade option to upgrade your farm."

Has anyone seen this before, why would it think an upgrade is needed?

Thanks!!

Saturday, September 1, 2012 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi mikea730,

At startup, the configuration tool checks the upgrade status of the PowerPivot farm solution and PowerPivot web application solutions. So you will get a prompt message if older versions of these solutions are detected. For more information, please refer to the article below:
    Upgrade PowerPivot for SharePoint (PowerPivot Configuration Tool): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh230964.aspx

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Thanks for the response, but I "do" understand that the config tool does this check at startup.

What I'm asking is why it thought an upgrade was needed after provisioning powerpivot service application.  I had not upgraded.  It was a new install.  Why just before provisioning it did "not" think an upgrade was needed, then after provisioning it did it think an upgrade was needed. 

Thanks!

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:17 PM