none
editor for xml fields in SQL server 2008 R2 SSMS?

Question

• Hi.

I have a question regarding possibility of editing XML fields via SQL server management studio. I know that this "feature" isnt provided in SQL server 2008, but I was wondering whether microsoft wasnt thinking ahead and maybe added this "feature" to SQL server 2008 R2?

If not, is there some workaround except for creating application for that?
    I have found something called xmlspy which is used for this matter. But I dont see a reason why should someone buy that, I think this "feature" should be included in SSMS.

thanks in advance

TomiGaspar
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would suggest you submit a feedback for this feature on the Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/sql

You also can click the link and add the feedback to your watch list (you need to log in using your account) so that you can get informed as soon as product units respond. It may be some time before we get response from product unit. Thanks for your patience.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Friday, February 18, 2011 2:27 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest you submit a feedback for this feature on the Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/sql

You also can click the link and add the feedback to your watch list (you need to log in using your account) so that you can get informed as soon as product units respond. It may be some time before we get response from product unit. Thanks for your patience.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Friday, February 18, 2011 2:27 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Actually, there is a work-around without investing $

Step 1:

Ensure that the column holding your XML is of xml datatype. If not, simply cast to xml in a query.

Step 2:

Double click the returned XML in SSMS results window

Step 3:

Change the values you want to change

Step 4:

Select all and copy

UPDATE [XML Table]

SET XML_COLUMN =' paste your XML here '

WHERE PK = [n]

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:56 PM