none
LocaleBuilder can not create custom locale for ckb-IQ RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We have used Resources.ckb-IQ.resx.

To build dll for ckb-IQ, we created ckb-IQ.msi on Windows 7 and it has been working well.

But that ckb-IQ.msi is not working on Windows 10.

So, I tried to create ckb-IQ.msi again using LocaleBuilder 2.0.1.0 on Windows 10.

But I couldn't create it with the following pop-up.

"Locale Builder could not proceed due to following issue:

Use culture name ku-Arab-IQ instead of alternate sort name ckb-IQ to replace system culture ku-Arab-IQ"

We already have many projects that use ckb-IQ resx.

How can I create custom locale for ckb-IQ?

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:58 AM

All replies

• Maybe your projects should use “ku-Arab-IQ” because “ckb-IQ” was a different (alternative) name and “ku-Arab-IQ” is already available in Windows? Check if “Central Kurdish (Iraq)” format in Region dialog of Control Panel is suitable. Then you do not need Locale Builder, but projects need adjustments, though.

If you need a distinct locale, then probably you should use a different name.

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Tuesday, July 30, 2019 5:58 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 5:58 AM
  • I understand what you said.

However our projects are not Windows app.

Actually, it is Tizen.NET project for TV. It's based on .NET Core.

We have been using the name “ckb-IQ” and also commercialized.

This is a related issue when applying .NET to our product : https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/22135

It's very difficult to change it to “ku-Arab-IQ”.

We really need ckb-IQ.msi to build our projects on Windows 10.

If you look at the above corefx issue, it seems that generating custom locale for “ckb-IQ” was possible at the time.

Can I get a previous version of LocaleBuilder so I can test?

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi Heesong Kim,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on your description, Could you provide more informations about 'LocaleBuilder' and 'ckb-IQ'?

It will help us to analyze your problem.

We are waiting for your update.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:12 AM
  • You can get previous version from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/7/e/a7e7f4a2-3618-4cb7-a05d-bc688d02a4b9/LocaleBuilder.msi

Note that Shawn Steele explicitly warn you not to use it for anything above Win7 because the locale format is different.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello, cheong00

I tried to install http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/7/e/a7e7f4a2-3618-4cb7-a05d-bc688d02a4b9/LocaleBuilder.msi

But I couldn't install with the following popup.

"Microsoft Locale Builder is not supported on this version of Windows."

I think this version is not for Windows 10.

Is there a previous version that can be installed on Windows 10?

Or could you provide me a custom version of LocaleBuilder that allows culture name "ckb-IQ"?

Hi, Xingyu Zhao

more informations about 'LocaleBuilder' and 'ckb-IQ' :

When we apply .NET to our product, we needed some custom locales such as mai-IN, bh-IN, ckb-IN.
    So we downloaded LocaleBuilder from MS Download Center and generated custom locales.
    After installing the msi file created by LocaleBuilder, we could build DLL for those custom locales.
    And the DLLs worked well on our product.
    However some msi file created on Windows 7 doesn't work on Windows 10. We couldn't build DLL for custom locales on Windows 10.
    So I tried to recreate msi file on Windows 10 with the latest version of LocaleBuider.
    I could create bh-IN.msi but I could not create only 'ckb-IQ' because the latest LocaleBuilder doesn't allow name 'ckb-IQ'.

Related github issue : https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/22135

• Edited by Heesong Kim Thursday, August 1, 2019 4:22 AM Adding information
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:12 AM
  • No. The locale format is different so you need v2.0 on Win8+.

This is only supported to run on Win7. You'll want to run it on a Win7 VM if your machine has already been upgraded to Win10.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello. I need to run on Win10 to gererate msi file for Win10.

Is there any way to contact the team developed "Locale Builder"?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:09 AM
  • I think since Shawn Steele worked for Windows and .NET globalization when this application is released, you may try to contract the team with built-in Feedback tool of Visual Studio.

Or if your company has MSDN subscription/support contract with Microsoft, you can open a case to contract them regarding this, stating your use case and see how they respond.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:41 AM
    Answerer