none
Could not load file or assembly 'msmgdsrv' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. RRS feed

• Question

• This is a question and report.

A web app generated the error.  I followed the suggestions of a few posts about this error to no avail.  A post about a similar error helped me eventually.

Here is what I did:

IIS Manager > Application Pools -> DefaultAppPool > Advanced settings -> set "Enable 32-bit. applications" to true.

where DefaultAppPool is the one used for the app with the problem.

I cannot make any connection between what I did and the error.   I only know it works.  Could any expert shed some light on this?

Hong

Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:59 PM

Answers

• Maybe because msmgdsrv.dll is 32-bit.

When trying to access a 32-bit application that is running under IIS on a 64-bit machine, this error gets displayed.

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:39 AM

All replies

• Actually, that was my first reading about this error, and I followed the instructions to no avail.

In case my original post is not clear.  Let me clarify it as following:

1. The problem has been solved.

2. I am looking for an explanation for why the solution (Enable 32-bit. application) works. 

Hong

Monday, November 12, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Maybe because msmgdsrv.dll is 32-bit.

When trying to access a 32-bit application that is running under IIS on a 64-bit machine, this error gets displayed.

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Yes, per your tip, I have found the following for msmgdsrv.dll

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50608.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
    </assembly>

Another strange thing is that the web.config file of the app does not have anything related to msmgdsrv.dll unlike that mentioned by other posts, but it uses a library that uses msmgdsrv.dll.

Hong

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:37 PM